Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What size bucks do you shoot and why? >

What size bucks do you shoot and why?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What size bucks do you shoot and why?

Old 10-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What size bucks do you shoot and why?

Whatever floats my boat, as long as it's legal. Why?: Because I can.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

only bucks over 4.5 which usually falls into the 150 or up category but there are some exceptions such as an old buck with bad genes that i would shoot

Amen to that, or badly wounded/maimed
Old 10-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

A buck that is at least 3 1/2 years old. I try to shoot mature bucks only. But sometimes it depends on my blood pressure at the time. lol
Old 10-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

I've already shaot a 146 and 136 so I will let small bucks pass, with the exception of the occasional fawn that is not ID'd well enough. Fawns and does go down. (deer are considered overpopulated where I hunt)

There has been talk of a very large fork horn (six point) that I will take if I see it. It would be about seven now if it is still out there.

Bob

Old 10-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have two different places that I hunt and I have different standards on each of them, on one ranch we have a management program in place that limits our bucks to 4.5 year old minimum (no size minimum) if it is a mature deer and it offers an opportunity to the right personit will usually get taken. Then on my family ranch, we try to keep it an 8 point or better thing but that usually doesn't hold for everyone, myself included as you might not see an 8 all year....
Old 10-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I waited on only "trophy" whitetail bucks to shoot, I would still be waiting for my first deer.[8D]

I usually shoot the first thing that gives me a shot. Why? Because there aren't any trophy bucks anywhere on the land that I have to hunt 99% of the year. There's always that possibility that a big one will wander by during the rut, but if you look around my land, there's no rubs, no scrapes, no big tracks, and no sightings of anything larger than a spike. I just see does. Lots of does, and you would think that during the rut the bucks would be right here. But, somehow, it's like they can't find this place. Last year I saw ZERO rut activity. Does walked around, nothing followed them, and the only buck I saw was one spike with a messed up rack. I thought I was about to see the big boy when a doe came blasting across a field in front of me, but all that was chasing her was a big black dog. That's the way it's been for years around here.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:13 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like some of you guys have almost no bucks on the property you hunt? That's a shame. On the property my dad and I hunt, we know of 10 bucks that are shooters. Half of them would go over 150 the other half would be between 130-150. 1 of those bucks has avoided us since 2003 when I filmed him as a 3 year old and then he was in the 160-170 range. My dad saw him the next year (2004) and he said he was in the 180s. Funny thing was my dads sights were off and he didn't know and he shot right over his back.Then my dad saw him in 2006 and said he had to be a 200 class TYPICAL. Believe it if you want, don't care if you don't, we saw him and no one else did. Not even the guys who hunt right next to our property. We have yet to get trail pictures of him or film him again, but we know he's still there because we have seen him. Now he's like 8, but he's still a GIANT! Hopefully he makes the mistake and walks in front of one of us while the other is filming, and we get him on camera and of course kill him. He's a tough old buck and he made the mistake once. Luckily for him, my dads sights were off and his bow was shooting high. We can only hope he makes that mistake again, but this time, one of us double lungs him.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

I've shot my share of smaller bucks. As I get older I don't need to shoot the first legal buck I see. I would rather take a Doe for meat, and pass the small bucks to give myself a chance for a 3.5 yr. buck or older. If I shoot that first Spike or Fork horn I see then I'll never know what might be coming behind him.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:14 AM

I'm with npaden - age over size. That being said, anything 4.5 + with over 130" on his head better watch out!
Old 10-10-2008, 07:50 AM

I usually try to only take 110 or bigger. Really frustrating alot of times though, Ill let the small ones walk just so my neighbor can put them in the freezer but I've got to give them the chance. On the other hand I will take some smaller bucks with bad racks (one side much smaller than the other orcow horns) the ones that i don't believe will ever produce awall hanger rack.

Quick Reply: What size bucks do you shoot and why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.