Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What size bucks do you shoot and why? >

What size bucks do you shoot and why?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What size bucks do you shoot and why?

Old 10-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What size bucks do you shoot and why?

I chose 130 or bigger, I know with a bow that will get me into the record books, just a personal goal for me. After that, I will aim for larger/older deer. We manage our property to harvest only mature bucks and a rule is, if you hunt on our property and kill a buck, you have to kill a doe too.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

110"+

If he isn't going on the wall, he isn't getting shot.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

For all of you that shoot any buck that walks by why is that? If you shoot 1 1/2 year olds you never will shoot bigger bucks. Let'em grow.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Spike

i know for myself i shoot anything that goes by mainly because i am not after something to hang on the wall.simple as that.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

We hunt in an area where we know whats a good buck for our area and thats what we wait on........In 40 years we have had 1 buck make 150B&C, normally a good buck for us is about 120B&C, so thats the deciding factor.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ManofTheFall

For all of you that shoot any buck that walks by why is that? If you shoot 1 1/2 year olds you never will shoot bigger bucks. Let'em grow.
I knew this would come up sooner or later. I don't hunt for the headgear, that's unheard of around here really. I would rather kill a dozen a year than ever put one on the wall. My dad has 10 trophies on the wall and is in the Fl Buck Registry for 2 bucks, so we kill decent sized bucks. No use in letting them walk IMO
Old 10-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

for me, with the bow, any legal buck that walks by (6 pointer or bigger)
Old 10-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Spike

i try for a mature buck, but if the last day of season comes and i havn't filled a tag, anything above a fawn is toast
Old 10-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Didn't vote in the poll. I make harvest decisions based on age, not antler size.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MTairman

i try for a mature buck, but if the last day of season comes and i havn't filled a tag, anything above a fawn is toast
I shoot fawns. Where I hunt, deer are overpopulated, at least the farmers and DNR say so. I buy antlerless tags. I shoot does and fawns. I try to pass on buck fawns but don't worry about it.

Why do you pass on fawns?? They are the best eating and here in Iowa they can be pretty good sized by the shotgun season in December.

I like to let small bucks walk and retain my antler tag for something bigger than 130.

Again, why pass on fawns?? Are deer underpopulated where you hunt?

Bob

Quick Reply: What size bucks do you shoot and why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.