Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What size bucks do you shoot and why? >

What size bucks do you shoot and why?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What size bucks do you shoot and why?

Old 10-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What size bucks do you shoot and why?

Well everybody within 3 miles shoots whatever walks....I try to let the little guys go...but I have a 4.5y/o that only scored 97 and I took a 3.5y/o this year, that is considered a nice deer, that is probaby 75-80ish....Ive got one on camera that I know is 4.5y/o, and I bet wouldnt break 100. Deer 3.5y/o or older are somewhat rare here. So I just try to keep it at 3.5y/o or older. I can tell a difference as Ive deffinately seen more bucks this year off all age classes.....but having food, water, and thick cover on my little 60ac piece probably helps keep them close as well.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Public property can be a pain. People shoot any deer that walks by. Even fawns, which is sad.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Club rules say 2 points on 1 side, so that's what i got by there and on my private land. Anything that meets those standards gets the crosshairsWhat can i say i am a meat hunter and i love to shoot..
Old 10-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I lease 300 acres in west Kentucky .... olny me and one other hunt it and we have a 5 year lease so we will try to manage our bucks for the next cpl of years ..we will only take a mature8pt or larger with a spread outside the ears .

dd
Old 10-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will personally hold out for a 120" or better this year or just fill all my doe tags (3 mabye 5) . Thats what I know will get the heart pumping for me and thats why I do it.

My belief is, if he makes ya tremble calm down and shoot em! ( no matter how big or small he is).
Old 10-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

Any that walks by because i can.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: The Deer Destroyer

Public property can be a pain. People shoot any deer that walks by. Even fawns, which is sad.
Depending on the area you hunt and the deer population, there are some very good reasons to remove some doe fawns from the herd. But that's a WHOLE other thread.

I voted 110 and up because I've only ever shot one buck and it was a small yearling basket rack (my first deer ever). This was 8 years ago and everything else I've shot since has been does. Over the past 8 years, I have not had one buck other than yearlings and button bucks within range. They all geta free pass from me. If I do end up shooting a 110 buck sometime, then I will probably make my buck choice more restricted. But as you can see, I have not had much opportunity for a bigger buck. I'm still not shooting a little one though because I live ina one buck state and if I shoot a little one, well, then I can't shoot a big one, can I?
Old 10-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

My general goal is too shoot only ones I believe come close to making Pope and Young 125". Later in the season I may get less picky. However I would love to hunt on land where there was a management plan. However I see no way thats happening for me.[]
Old 10-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my neck of the woods,-Western NY, Southerntier, a 2 1/2 year old buck will, in many cases be 8 pt, 16-18' spread. IMHO, a buck doesn't become a "mature" buck until they've had 3-4 seasons behind them. I have a much harder time judging age, on the hoof, than antler size. { gosh, I wish I really was a ROCKET SCIENTIST.} LMFAO!! This is strictly my opinion, and that's what the thread starter wanted to know: I try to go for a 140 class or bigger. As I've said before, that has resulted in some years never firing a shot- gun or bow-, but so what. I love the hunt, more than the kill. When both come together, priceless.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

only bucks over 4.5 which usually falls into the 150 or up category but there are some exceptions such as an old buck with bad genes that i would shoot

Quick Reply: What size bucks do you shoot and why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.