Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunting tactics for "off hours" >

Hunting tactics for "off hours"

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting tactics for "off hours"

Old 10-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting tactics for "off hours"

Because of the work I do (ministry), it's hard to get hunting time at dawn and dusk, and I've begun to think that I may need to find an effective method of hunting for daylight hours. I can get out in the morning, but only shortly after sunrise, and I have to be in at sunset.

Does anyone have any suggestions? For the record, I hunt in northeast kansas in woods and pasture mix. The terrain is hilly. Our Muzzleloader season is Sept 22-Oct. 5th. Rifle season is the first two weeks of December (Post rut). I generally hunt alone.

One thing I can add is that I can come up with a lot of places to hunt because I know a lot of people through ministry.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting tactics for "off hours"

Hunt every minute you get even if you are alittle late. Still hunt to your stand in the morning you may be suprised. Another option may be to have a friend take a stroll to push some deer your way.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

what type of ministry r u in?? take weekends off use some vacation days even my pastor has some free time even though he doesnt hunt he is in Texas rite now depends if ur fulltime almost everyday or u teach sundays etc
Old 10-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

go hunting when it gets really cold. especially ice-cold rain. when deer get cold they move to stay warm
Old 10-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The deer are are out there all day. Just cause you can't get there 1st or last of the day doesn't mean you're not gonna catch them midday browsing around.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

deer will move for a while in the morning, still hunt your spots, even if you get in a little late. Also still hunting is overlooked far to often. Work small woodlots by yourself. Just ease in real slow and keep an open eye. Deer will hang tight and let you pass them if your quiet. You just have to be able to see them. Also, get some buddies and put on some drives, thatll work all day.
-Jake
Old 10-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

One word for you to= success on your schedule. RUT!!!!! Hunt all you can when it hits. You will see deer.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

No disrespect, but set up a preachin sermon hunters breakfast! You might even get invited onto some prime land.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stillhunt to your stand in the morning, stay on it till aorund 11 and then get some buddies to push deer. Deer drives are a great way to see deer and get shots if you do them right.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you for the information. I've been thinking about still hunting as a viable option. I don't have much experience with it, though.

Since some of you are asking about the ministry, I'm a Benedictine monk and priest. Deer hunting is one of my diversions, along with fishing. What makes things difficult is that we have prayers at 6:20 AM and Mass and evening Vespers around sunset. I have to be generally present at those so it cuts down on hunting at sunrise/sunset.. I'm also assigned to teach in our high school and that limits my ability to get away.