Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting Tactics

Old 06-17-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Elk Hunting Tactics

I got lucky and recieved a elk tag this year and I am trying to decide the best possible way to hunt. What is the best way??? Should I use calls then track it? Or should I use feeders and hunt from a tree stand. What is the best tactic to use??? Please Help.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunting Tactics

Quadracer - what area and season did you draw? Also, is it a bull tag, or a cow tag. Kinda hard to give any direction with no detail.

But I do know one thing - don't use a feeder and a treestand in Nevada, could be ugly.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

After reading some of your posts, I have a couple of questions so we can help you better.

1) How old are you?

2) What, if anything, have you ever hunted before?

3) What, if any, weapons have you used (bow, rifle, etc.) and how proficient are you with the weapons you have used? How many years have you shot them and how often do you use them?

FYI: Bait, feeders are usually accepted for whitetail in the southern state where they are plentiful.I do not know of any western state that allows and baiting/feeders for elk or deer. Most have outlawed baiting for bears.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:12 PM

I know that where i hunt the elk have a set route that they cirlce around and it can take them a few weeks to go around the route and back so im guessing they might be the same there, so if your not hunting during rut i would definitely do some scouting so you can learn their route or where abouts they might be when opening day comes along, because calls dont tend to work when their not rutting but try the cow of fawn call anyways because you will sometimes get a chirp from one of them. If its during the rut though just whip out the bugle (practice first) and call a couple times and if their with in a few miles or so they'll hear you and call right back. Thats the way i hunt elk and it seems to work for me but as for the elk around where you live im not to sure.Good luck

Lethal
Old 06-19-2006, 08:13 AM

LMFAO!!