Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your Hunting hours??

Old 01-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Default Your Hunting hours??

For Gun hunting in your state what are the legal hunting hours?

Currently, in Illinois the gun hunting hours are from 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset.

There is legislation to change it to 1/2 after sunset too. I'm a little leery of this, but I'd like to know if other states have the same shooting hours and don't have problems.

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Your Hunting hours??

Michigan has the same hours as you do for gun and bow.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:59 PM

We run 1/2 hour b4 sunrise and 1/2 hour after sunset. Also depending on where you live in the province with reference to the middle additional math is required. For example i hunt 3 hours east of the 0 mark so i can hunt 15 minutes earlier but have to shut down 15 minutes earlier in the evening. so 8:30 sunrise and 5:00 sunset equals 7:45 am and 5:15 for me. The half hour after sunset has never been a problem for me in regards to being able to see game and surrounding perfectly.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:07 PM

Kentuckyyou can shoot deer between1/2 before sunrise-1/2 hour after sunset. You can beafield as early or late as you like.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

For Gun hunting in your state what are the legal hunting hours?

Currently, in Illinois the gun hunting hours are from 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset.

There is legislation to change it to 1/2 after sunset too. I'm a little leery of this, but I'd like to know if other states have the same shooting hours and don't have problems.

Thanks.
I think it's a good idea, it's still light enough at that time.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

I have trouble seeing a deer at 20 yards at 1/2 hour after sunset on overcast days with no snow.

I'm a bit concerned about guys with shotguns trying to hit a dark blob at 100 yards a half hour after sunset. If they hit it, will they be able to tell? Will they be able to figure out where the deer was standing?

I know WI has it until 20 mins. after sunset, which I like better. I've rifle hunted up in N WI and could still see pretty well at that time. Of course, there was almost always snow on the ground. You can't count on snow cover in most of IL during gun season.

Anyhow, I'm open to the idea though. That's why I'd like to see if it works for other states with rather high populations of hunters and non hunters.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Dominant Buck

1/2 hour beforesunrise and 1/2 hour after sunset for all deer hunting in Vermont. Good for hunting because that first and last half hour is when they move the most. On overcast days however, there is a safety factor. IMO hunter orange should be mandatory at least during those times. We don't have orange requirements here and if I don't have it on during the mid day period I always put it on at the ends of the day.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cryptic Gypsy

Kentuckyyou can shoot deer between1/2 before sunrise-1/2 hour after sunset. You can beafield as early or late as you like.
Same for MO.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:46 AM

1/2 Before sunset to 1/2 after sunset.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Cryptic Gypsy

Same here in FL.

Quick Reply: Your Hunting hours??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.