Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why'd my meat go bad?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:57 PM

Default Why'd my meat go bad?

Plenty of hunters succeed each season and get home to find the meat they've harvested in the field is no good. There are plenty of reasons for this, ranging from high temperatures to contamination. And, for every reason your meat is ruined, there's a way the spoilage could've been prevented.

Cool your kill - in warm weather, it's exceptionally important that you get the carcass cooled as quickly as possible. Traditional field dressing is the best option, but if you've got access to a one-ton packed with ice, more power to you. Do bear in mind that meat spoils from inside as well.

Keep it clean - you can protect your meat from bugs and debris by placing it in suitable sacks. Many veteran hunters recommend a dash of black pepper on the carcass to keep insects at bay while you're working.

Avoid contamination - when dressing your carcass, take care not to puncture the innards as the contents of the animal's digestive tract can ruin all your hard work. Many hunters recommend tying off the rectum before you remove it to avoid accidental spills.

http://easyhuntingtips.com/blog
Old 06-24-2008, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why'd my meat go bad?

Good advice. Additionally, we vacuum seal prior to freezing. Works wonderfully.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Before buying a vac sealer I used to lightly oil meat down before wrapping in a double layer of plastic wrap to exclude oxygen, the oil also protected from freezer burn.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

i just wrap my meat with freezer paper, no vacuum sealing. i have meat in the freezer almost a year old with no freezer burn.