Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how much meat

Old 08-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default how much meat

i have seen alot of guys talking about shooting fawns.

but i was wondering how much meat would you get off a 8 month old fawn. not sure it would be worth the 25 dollar tag.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: how much meat

Make your own decision. I get two hams, two shoulders and two backstraps

Breaking it down by deer.....I paid <$5/deer, last year.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

but i was wondering how much meat would you get off a 8 month old fawn. not sure it would be worth the 25 dollar tag.
Your like me and havent got the first kill under your belt right? Well I can tell you it will taste better then tag soup
Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 PM

think quality not quanity!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

well i am not saying i would not kill one just wondered how much meat it would give. last few weeks of season if it is brown and walking it is down
ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

Your like me and havent got the first kill under your belt right? Well I can tell you it will taste better then tag soup
Old 08-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If ya get 30lbs your lucky. It is fine meat though! Not for me anymore though. I'm not into paying $35 for that much meat when a mature doe will yield 70lbs of meat.

If you can get more than 1 tag......... shoot whatever walks in first. If you only have 1 tag......... wait untilo its near the end of the season and then shoot a little one if ya have to.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i am not saying i would not kill one just wondered how much meat it would give. last few weeks of season if it is brown and walking it is down
ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

Sitting here LMFAO at this, THANKS GUYS!!!

Tim,
Depending on WHERE you are makes a BIG difference. I've killed quite a few yearlings, because they're EASY and TENDER. Here in OHIO, they will weigh around 100# live, and I can get 30# +/- 5# cutting them up myself.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

If a Doe is bread in mid Nov she will give birth somewhere in the first week of June (201 day gestation period). By the day it was concived in mid Nov a fawn will be almost 5 1/2 months old and weigh about a whopping 40 lbs dressed (seen them as light as 32 lbs at the end of Nov).
So lets cut off the legs above the knees, skin it, cut the head off and debone the meat.
In reality you have about enough to feed a family of 5, BBQ sandwiches for 2 days, if your lucky.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Dominant Buck

If a Doe is bread in mid Nov she will give birth somewhere in the first week of June (201 day gestation period). By the day it was concived in mid Nov a fawn will be almost 5 1/2 months old and weigh about a whopping 40 lbs dressed (seen them as light as 32 lbs at the end of Nov).
So lets cut off the legs above the knees, skin it, cut the head off and debone the meat.
In reality you have about enough to feed a family of 5, BBQ sandwiches for 2 days, if your lucky.
Awesome! And when it's said and done.....you've saved that family enough $$in meals to pay for your tagsfor the season (were you hunting NC) AND you've taken another breeder out of the herd!

What a win-win! Buy that man a beer!
Old 08-14-2008, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

well we can get 2 does with bow. then we can get 2 more with bonus tags. each cost 25 bucks.
We can not use the bonus tags on most fish and wildlife areas.
wonder what the butcher fee would be on a fawn.
good one to start butchering your own one not to big
ORIGINAL: sandilands

If ya get 30lbs your lucky. It is fine meat though! Not for me anymore though. I'm not into paying $35 for that much meat when a mature doe will yield 70lbs of meat.

If you can get more than 1 tag......... shoot whatever walks in first. If you only have 1 tag......... wait untilo its near the end of the season and then shoot a little one if ya have to.

Quick Reply: how much meat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.