Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Chewing or Smoking in the woods >

Chewing or Smoking in the woods

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Chewing or Smoking in the woods

Old 12-07-2007, 09:00 AM

Default RE: Chewing or Smoking in the woods

ORIGINAL: mauser06

i really think deer are spooked by smells they associate with danger...
I agree!

My hunting buddy smokes like a chimney, and he shoots and walks up on tonnes of deer!
I think the deer smell the cigarette, before they catch the human scent!
We all know how they react,when they smell a human! "Up comes the tail"

Old 12-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

I don't want lung cancer so I don't smoke anyways...
Old 12-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FtWorthHunter

Personally, I think all the scent stuff is a bit of a marketing ploy. I've never used it and have had deer within arms reach many times while hunting from the ground.

I did and pee in the woods as well. The only time I use a bottle is when I hunt from a blind with... um... not real accessable windows.

Deer spook to noise and movement in my opinion.
it all depends on where you are hunting. if the deer do not know that human scent is a sign of danger then the smell is well just another smell. but if they begin to realize that human scent is always there when a shot goes off then they become scared of the odor and do not come near it, that is when you need to use scent blockers
Old 12-07-2007, 10:28 AM

I don't smoke, but my buddy does. He told me his only problem with smoking in his stand is finding a place to put his cig when he has to shoot the next deer.

He can shoot a bow with one in his mouth as well, I have seen him do it.

If I was a true trophy hunter I don't that I would risk it, but if you just want to whack deer probably doesn't make much difference.

I don't think deer are all that smart to be honest, just paranoid. I think they smoke too much weed, or do a bit too much speed. They seem to be very curious just like cats, but are a bit more skittish.

Paul
Old 12-07-2007, 11:19 AM

i smoke constantly...look at the name =). Deer seem to be curious to it and ive had deer come within' arms reach as well. I killed a doe this year with my bow with a cigarette in my mouth....i had to hold it to the left side to shoot...kind akward. In my opinion...deer dont give a rats arse about cigs or other types of smoke...but if they smell something like a human or a dog...they GTFO!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:40 PM

I dont know if they are scared or not, but I figure if I am gonna wear all this expensive scent lok clothing I might as wellact like scent is an issue. I dip and smoke and when I am feeling tired or need some nicotine I will pop in some nicorete. It is expensive for a piece of gum but it keep down the cravings and probably smells less than a burning camel.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:07 PM

I agree that it probably does have alot to do with where you hunt. Every place I hunt has alot of human activity year round, so they are just used to the scent and don't associate it with harm. I almost think I try too hard when I hunt for them. It's amazing how many deer I see when I'm out working on my place versus sitting still in a stand in the same general area.