HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Chewing or Smoking in the woods (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/221348-chewing-smoking-woods.html)

northernedge 12-06-2007 06:00 PM

Chewing or Smoking in the woods

How does everyone feel about Chewing or Smoking in the woods. I personaly have shot a couple of deer that were sniffing old spit piles under my tree stand.

WestNYhunter 12-06-2007 06:46 PM

RE: Chewing or Smoking in the woods

I've never had a problem chewing in the woods, now after my six year old sister sprayed my boots with lysol air freshener...thats a whole other story haha

wahoohunter 12-06-2007 08:44 PM

its your choice i would say..just like chewing gum, sunflower seeds or anything else... although though i'm not a fan myself, its your personal perogative to support lung/gum cancer through consumption of tobacco products

snowball450 12-07-2007 12:34 AM

to tell you the truth.i only see deer when i smoke and thats no joke.

Lubricious 12-07-2007 03:54 AM

Ive killed 2 with a smoke in my mouth at the time of the shot. I dont smoke in the woods anymore though, just dip now.

Sooner State Hunter 12-07-2007 05:55 AM

had 3 doe come under my ladder stand, actually brushing the ladder as they walked, they stopped to sniff the snuff spit, then walked out in front w/out a care in the world

retrieverman 12-07-2007 05:59 AM

I personally don't smoke or chew, but I would bet every penny in my pocket that there are people of here that smoke and/or chew on the deer stand and wear Scentlok clothing at the same time.

mauser06 12-07-2007 06:07 AM

lol retrieverman...i also wizz right out of my tree...right into the bare spot i spit into. before climbing, i kick a patch of leaves away JUST to spit and wizz into. while im head to toe in scentlok.

ive had deer use a "mock scape" made by ME. not worried about urine.

and about chew spit, ive never had a problem with it. had a mature doe with fawns come in and eat DIRECTLY under my tree where i spit for a couple weeks every hunt...and countless deer within feet of it..

i really think deer are spooked by smells they associate with danger...when they start associating my chew spit with danger, i'll chew some fruity flavor or somethin lol...

the only reason i clear the leaves away is so i dont make noise...

just my thoughts on it...and yes, ive had mature PA bucks within bow range of my stand...

itchyfinger 12-07-2007 06:43 AM

ive' had deer lick my dip spit under my treestand before.They seemed to enjoy it to.

FtWorthHunter 12-07-2007 07:28 AM

Personally, I think all the scent stuff is a bit of a marketing ploy. I've never used it and have had deer within arms reach many times while hunting from the ground.

I did and pee in the woods as well. The only time I use a bottle is when I hunt from a blind with... um... not real accessable windows.

Deer spook to noise and movement in my opinion.