Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

POP UP GROUND BLINDS

Old 10-31-2007, 09:47 AM

Default POP UP GROUND BLINDS

I ran into one of these in the woods on public land during gun season a couple years ago, and it really got me thinking about how unsafe they are. In WI there is a blaze orange rule for gun season, and for good reason. By using these ground blinds with full camo concealment, you're really taking a chance. If I was using one, I'd put some blaze orange on the outside of it, especially if I was in it. It would also enable other hunters to know you are there, and hopefully "give you some room". Maybe it should be a rule that these blinds have some blaze orange.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: POP UP GROUND BLINDS

Waiting,
I hunt mostly out of ground blinds. During archery season. I do not put up any orange. However during gun season I hang hunter orange beanies (hats) over each of the corners. There are also some blinds that have tabs you can flip up that reveal Hunter Orange patches on each sode of the blind.

As for it being a rule it would make sense in those states that require hunter orange during gun season.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Many pop-ups do have blaze on them, usually small squares that may or may not have a velcroed flap to cover them when not needed. One of mine has them on all four sides. In my state if it's gun season and blaze is required you're still required to wear it and it must be visible from all angles.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got the $60 special from Diicks Sporting Goods and it has 4 flaps that you can flip up with blaze orange strips.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Many pop-ups do have blaze on them, usually small squares that may or may not have a velcroed flap to cover them when not needed. One of mine has them on all four sides. In my state if it's gun season and blaze is required you're still required to wear it and it must be visible from all angles.
Kevin,
In WV we have to wear it too. Since I put hats on all 4 corners of the blind i would be covered on the all angles scenario. But since your law (and maybe mine for that matter)states it must be visible from all angles and you are wearing it while in the blind, without putting up anything outside the blind how does the law view that?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:24 PM

This will be my first year using ground blinds..I was planning on putting my blaze orange hat or a vest on the top so you can see it from all sides..I think that should be good enough for it..
Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 PM
Fork Horn

In IL I believe it is required to have a certain amount of blaze orange displayed on your ground blind but only on public ground. My blind came with blaze orange flaps but not enough to satisfy the requirements, iI think,if I hunted on public ground though.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tie 12" strips of blaze orange trail marking tape about every 24 inches around my blind. I leave it on there during archery season because there are squirrel and grouse hunters in the woods. The tape does not bother the deer. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steve F.in MD

I tie 12" strips of blaze orange trail marking tape about every 24 inches around my blind. I leave it on there during archery season because there are squirrel and grouse hunters in the woods. The tape does not bother the deer. Better safe than sorry.
Think I'll try that on the new one I just bought
Old 11-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

My blind is on private land, but I believe the blaze orange is a great idea. I would certainly use it on public land.