Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I need some advice about hunting in Texas. >

I need some advice about hunting in Texas.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I need some advice about hunting in Texas.

Old 01-17-2002, 05:57 PM

Default I need some advice about hunting in Texas.

I live in Missouri and I am moving to Winnsboro Texas early this year.I am used to hunting from a tree stand usually around acorns.I know that Texas is alot different from Missouri.I hunted in Winnsboro a little this year, the land I hunted had some blinds on legs set up in front of food plots.I don't beleive in hunting that way not much sport to that in my opinion.I would like some advice about what's the best way to hunt down there; tree stand, ground, what to look for in that particular area, what to plant to get the deer bigger, and etc.

Raymond Rohrbeck
Old 01-18-2002, 08:27 AM

Default RE: I need some advice about hunting in Texas.

Hi Ray and welcome to the board and to Texas. I have lived in East Texas before (not too far from Winnsboro) and I'm thinking that you will be in mostly hardwoods and some pine. There are many areas around there that have been cut and I would think that in those situations, you might be better elevated so that you can see into the regrowth from above which sounds like a pretty good situation. On the other hand, if you're hunting in thick woods with low branches,(6-7 ft ground clearance) I would set up on the ground. You should have a good number of oak (acorns) around, so your deer may not have to move much to eat. If I were to hunt this, I might concentrate on water, given the high availability of food. As far as what to plant, I would ask the folks on the QDM forum. I hope this helps. BTW, enjoy Lake Fork, not as pretty as Table Rock or Bull Shoals but some good bass and crappie fishing.

Edited by - GoTres on 01/18/2002 15:49:13
Old 01-18-2002, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to TexasBowhunting.com you will get lots of Texas information on your questions... good Luck

always thankful
Old 01-18-2002, 01:09 PM

i still hunt in east texas and it is a tough hunt. winnsboro is a county in which there are not many deer. this is the xase in that part of the state. it is usally only a one buck county.if it is thick you would be better off up high so you can see more area. being low will limit your sight range.i would look for trails to intersect and sit up in that kind of area near water.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:41 PM
OG
Spike

Texas is probably the most diverse state for hunting terrains. East Texas is the Piney Woods, West Texas is more of a Desert hunt, South Texas is Brush country, Central Texas is the hill country, North Central Texas is pretty much hardwood territory. If you are leasing property from someone you pretty much can pic the type of terrain you want to hunt. Just depnds on how far of a drive do you want to the deer lease. Although it can get pretty pricy from the hill country to South Texas for hunting rights, but 50 percent of the Texas deer heard is located there. Good luck and welcome to Texas.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:49 PM

quote]
Hi Ray and welcome to the board and to Texas. I have lived in East Texas before (not too far from Winnsboro) and I'm thinking that you will be in mostly hardwoods and some pine. There are many areas around there that have been cut and I would think that in those situations, you might be better elevated so that you can see into the regrowth from above which sounds like a pretty good situation. On the other hand, if you're hunting in thick woods with low branches,(6-7 ft ground clearance) I would set up on the ground. You should have a good number of oak (acorns) around, so your deer may not have to move much to eat. If I were to hunt this, I might concentrate on water, given the high availability of food. As far as what to plant, I would ask the folks on the QDM forum. I hope this helps. BTW, enjoy Lake Fork, not as pretty as Table Rock or Bull Shoals but some good bass and crappie fishing.

Edited by - GoTres on 01/18/2002 15:49:13
[/quote]
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. Ray
P.S. I hope this is the right way to respond.