Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Duck hunting in East Texas..need help/advice >

Duck hunting in East Texas..need help/advice

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Duck hunting in East Texas..need help/advice

Old 08-04-2007, 07:18 AM

Default Duck hunting in East Texas..need help/advice

Hey Board,

Need some help with getting into duck hunting. I'm new to hunting and thought I'd give duck hunting a shot. I'm pretty serious about it. I've taken a second job to help foot the bill for some gear. I'll be hunting on the public lands around the state.
Questions:

1. Anybody duck hunt in the East Texas area? What types of ducks are the most commonly seen. (For buying decoys)
2. Considering on buying a Redhead Deluxe Layout blind. Anybody use one of these? (I thought this could also double for goose hunting down the road...just dress it up w/ some different scrub.)
3. Camo: Looking to buy a wader jacket & bibs.(Advantage Max 4 or Mossy Oak Duckblind?)

Thanks for any information/advice you can pass along.

Mignolafan
Old 08-04-2007, 11:38 AM

Default RE: Duck hunting in East Texas..need help/advice

when i use to live in texas we hunted in matagora bay
Old 08-04-2007, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the info. Do you remember what types of ducks you saw down there?

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:03 AM
Fork Horn

Mallards, Widgeons(a few), occasional pintails, woodducks, coots(pouldoues), canvasbacks.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:24 AM

Thanks Doc

The info should come in handy. I went duck hunting once last season, we couldn't get the birds to turn our direction. I'm going to give it a shot on the public lands in the area. Do you live/hunt in the East Texas area yourself?

Thanks again,
Old 08-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

I am originaly from South Louisiana(Baton Rouge). I am stationed at Ft. Polk(West LA) and I do alot of hunting around here. Growing up my Grandfather owned some land in Katy, Texas and we did LOADS of Dove and goose hunting on it, with a little duck. I'm fairly familiar to what kind of ducks are there. What part of Texas are you going to be hunting in?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:44 AM

Probably going to hunt around Texas/Louisianna border. I'll be working on the public lands. White Oak Creek WMA around Texarkana , Toledo Bend ? and Sabine Bottom in Smith County possibly. Don't know how good it will be w/o a boat or dog. I'd like to go do some scouting and check the water levels.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

I actually hunt around the east side of Toldedo bend. We may be able to meet up osome time. It is difficult without a boat or dog. Waders are a definate must. Boats would help, but I recently just bougt a $300 bataeu that will fit in the back of my truck. I'm going to use it to retrieve ducks when the water gets gets too high for my waders.
I might put a trolling motor on it. I'm on a tight paycheck with the Army, but I go to the promotion board for Sergeant in Oct. so I will hopefully have some money for some new tools before too long. =]
Old 08-15-2007, 09:36 AM

That's cool. I've never been to Toledo Bend. Just know it's not too far from my area and I believe it's still on the public lands for this year. Not sure what a bataeu is, but I'm going to look it up. I've got a pair of waders (given to me...they were his xtras) I need to finish buying some of my supplies as well. Do you know where I could buy a map of the area lakes that might tell about water depth like a topo map or something?

Old 08-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not to sure about that one, but try your department DNR. The LDWF gives out free maps of all wildlife management areas, but their not topo. Bateau is a small, flat bottomed boat.