Texas Hunting!!!! >

Texas Hunting!!!!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Texas Hunting!!!!

Old 10-29-2003, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default Texas Hunting!!!!

Just talked to my boss...about 10 minutes ago. I may be shipped off to Dallas in about 3-6 months. I' ll be down there for a year if I go. Well, hunting is a main reason to go or not to go. It' d be a big move for me.

Whats hunting like down there. I looked on the Texas Wildlife website, but that was pretty much useless as there was too much info. Can someone please let me know how it is getting liscenses and permits down there.

I also noticed that the bow season is only a month long [:@] Is this true or is there a late season as well. From what I hear, the Dallas area is' nt that great for hunting. I don' t care about big bucks, I just want to be able to hunt!!!! I know SW Texas is legendary. I' m just worried about hunting oportunites and being able to get permits etc. Keep in mind I' m moving from Illinois. I' d be leaving a hunting mecca...no matter what part of the state I get to hunt. Anyway, please let me know? Repsond or drop me a private message or e-mail.

J

Old 10-29-2003, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Texas Hunting!!!!

Bowhunting only is only a month long........but you can also bow hunt during gun season. In other words you have over 3 1/2 months to hunt with your bow.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Texas Hunting!!!!

I live in the D/FW Metroplex. Only thing I can tell you is, the hunting is great in Texas.....if you go in the right direction. But, I will also say, be prepared to drive for a while to get there and be prepared to change your hunting strategies. The first year after I moved here, I traveled back to Louisiana to hunt but 4 1/2 hours of one way driving got old fast. For the next three years, I hunted the norther part of the Hill Country region. The hunting was fantastic, but different. There are an unbelievable amount of deer in that part of the the country but they are small bodied deer with most bucks averaging about 130 - 150# live weight. This year I ended up going back east, in East Texas. the deer are larger just not as plentiful. If you end up moving here, send me an e mail or PM, I' m sure we can find something to your liking here in Texas. Y' all come on down.

Oh, and as far as bow hunting os concerned, this year for example bow ONLY season is from Sept. 27 to Oct. 26. General seaon is from Nov 1st to Jan 4th and you can also hunt with your bow any time durin gthe general season as well. So basically you can bowhunt from Sept 27 to Jan 4 with only 1 week of down time between Oct 26 & Nov. 1st.