Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

hog hunting Texas

Old 05-25-2007, 08:50 PM

Default hog hunting Texas

I am gittin into hog hunting, with a bow, I like it. I saw a post on this forum, that I found on a web search, about hog hunting in north texas. It referred to a website north texas ferral hog management. It was posted by a user called the REV. I was wondering what happened with that. I allways wondered myself why everybody is charging to hunt a nuisance animal. I am lookin for a good place to hunt them little porkers with a bow, everybody wants a arm and a leg. Been lookin into public hunting, got the permit, got the maps, now what? Anybody do any good on any public land. What are some good wma's to hunt for hogs? Love this site!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: hog hunting Texas

I haven't hunted public land however I know there are a lot of hogs on Gus Engling WMA. I'm not certain they allow hog hunting out there though. The Texas Feral Hog Management Assoc. fell by the wayside. Rev and I tried to match landowners with a hog problem to bowhunters. Well we found 15,268,872 bowhunters and 1 landowner interested in helping out. well, it sure seemed that way. Everyone wants cash. I had a thread up about finding free hogs in Tx. I had the mods pull it because I just couldn't keep up with demand. Other than guys that are already booked with me I'm done. I don't have much land to hunt and from now on it is only friends and active duty military. Try getting out in rural areas and asking around in feed stores about people with hog problems, maybe put up some flyers? sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:33 AM

Gus Engeling WMA Hog hunting is by bow or muzzle loader, from march 12-31 only. If anybody was wondering. You can go to the tpwd website and get all of the maps for texas public hunting then googlemaps for satelite view for a killer overhead shot of what you are going to be grocery shopping in. Thanks for the reply
Old 05-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Jacksboro Tx. Turkey season.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:31 AM

Those are some nice ones, did you get them on public land?
Old 05-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Huntxtrm

I am gittin into hog hunting, with a bow, I like it. I saw a post on this forum, that I found on a web search, about hog hunting in north texas. It referred to a website north texas ferral hog management. It was posted by a user called the REV. I was wondering what happened with that. I allways wondered myself why everybody is charging to hunt a nuisance animal. I am lookin for a good place to hunt them little porkers with a bow, everybody wants a arm and a leg. Been lookin into public hunting, got the permit, got the maps, now what? Anybody do any good on any public land. What are some good wma's to hunt for hogs? Love this site!
Roy, the TFHMA didn't happen.First of all my lawyer told me of the liability issue I would be facing, and second most landowners were either greedy and wanted money to kill a pest, or they didn't want people on their private property. I contacted all the county ag agents while they were on fire about it, we just couldn't get the landowners involved.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: White Falcon

Man they have some funny looking and big turkey's out Jacksboro way
Old 05-27-2007, 10:11 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Not sure where you are looking to go but Sommerville WMA has excellent hog hunting. It is 30 miles west of Bryan/College Station. I've fished the lake quite a bit and seen a number of hogs working the banks.

I have not hunted there but a couple buddies have and shot hogs. The guythat runs the local archery shop has taken several hogs as well there.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

ORIGINAL: White Falcon

Man they have some funny looking and big turkey's out Jacksboro way
You haven't heard of the Jack Co. Turkeys. They are a lot bigger than the Rio Grande or the Eastern. They taste just like Pork.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

For all the Turkey's on this page!!