Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Would you have shot the last deer in this video three times? >

Would you have shot the last deer in this video three times?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I feel the first shot was sufficient.
58.82%
I feel the first TWO shots were sufficient.
11.76%
I feel that ALL THREE shots were needed.
29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Would you have shot the last deer in this video three times?

Old 07-19-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Would you have shot the last deer in this video three times?

Hey everyone. I'm sure that a lot of you have probably seen the preview video at www.climaxofthehunt.com. I just watched it last night for the first time and I think it looks very interesting.

However, I'm just curious as to how many people feel that three shots were necessary on the last deer.

Me and some buddies had a major debate over this and I'm just curious what everyone else thinks.

Here's a direct link to the video...

http://www.climaxofthehunt.com/videos/climaxpreview.rm

Old 07-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you have shot the last deer in this video three times?

Dead is dead no matter how many times you shoot it ...maybe he did not want to have to try and track it ...but it appears he may have just been trying to put it down with as little suffering as possible

dd
Old 07-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

why worry about it. Looks like it ceratainly would have went down, another shot or two to assure it? What's the problem?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm color blind and it makes it hard for me to track. Yes I would have shot all three times, or just dropped it with one good shot!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

One shot should be enough. Two maybe. Three you are just wasting a shot.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:18 AM

I couldn't tell exactly where the first shot hit the deer, but to me it certainly looked like he wasn't going far. However, I have to be honest...

The first deer I ever shot was a big doe. I shot her three times, even though the first shot would have guaranteed a relatively quick death. And the first big buck I shot I actually shot five times, because I wanted to make sure that I didn't lose him. I was 15 years old at the time and obviously inexperienced.

I think that maybe that played an important role in the video...maybe and excited inexperienced hunter, maybe the first two shots just weren't good shots,maybe the hunter just wanted to end the deer's suffering as quickly as possible.

Anyway you look at it, it's a dead deer that will put meat on the table and a beautiful trophy for the wall. I am in NO way putting the hunter down...just wanted to get everybody's opinion.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

why worry about it. Looks like it ceratainly would have went down, another shot or two to assure it? What's the problem?
Ditto!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:10 AM

My first big buck I double-lunged him and he ran about 100 yards and kneeled down. When I got there he was beathing real heavy and turned and looked at me. I'm not the touchy feely hippy type at all, but I didn't like watching him suffer so I put another round into him. A little while later he started to groan and move to get up so I put a 3rd round into him.

My reasoning was 4-fold:
1. I wasn't an overly experienced hunter at the time (I'm still not, but learning more every year) and probably came for the deer too soon, but this relates to #4.
2. I hate to see an animal suffer (I've been known to back up and run over an animal I've hit a second time to make sure it's not suffering).
3. I hunt with a 20guage and want to make sure it's down.
4. I hunt densely hunted public land and I was afraid he'd run into another hunter's sites or jump a fence onto private land and I'd lose my deer.

That said, I thought he could have waited a bit more between the shots and let the deer either fall or tire out on it's own. Most of these videos are shot on what I would assume to be large tracks of private land with nice guns which eliminates my reasons 3 and 4.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

If ya watch closely after the second shot blood is pouring out of the chest cavity. That is sufficient for me. That looks like TX or the southwest and the bushes bite back down there. Anchor the deer if possible.

mello
Old 07-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

How about the deer that he shot in the neck with his bow? or did i not see that clearly?

I have put more than one shot into my deer with the 12 guage. I am not one to watch them suffer.