Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spine shot deer video??? >

Spine shot deer video???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spine shot deer video???

Old 11-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Spine shot deer video???

Is this a spine shot?It looked like a double lung/heart shot, but only a spine shot deer will drop inits tracks when shot with a bow... Right?

Watch this video andlet me know what you think.http://www.huntingfootage.com/showphoto.php/photo/4460/limit/recent
Old 11-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Spine shot deer video???

Didnt have time to watch it but i have taken 2 does in the last 2 yearsthat were perfect shots with my bow and have had them drop right on the spot. I would saythat is rare maybeseing i have put great shots on manydeer and only had those 2 drop right there.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't want to register just to see the clip, but spine shots drop the deer. PERIOD. They may flop or drag themselves, but they are going down.

I can't see any bow shot that does not disrupt the central nervous system still dropping the deer.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spine shots while ending in a short track, usually must be followed up with a second killing shot, often a challenge as the deer may be flopping as mentioned above.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

A heart shot to the top of the heart severing the aorta will result in an immediatedrop in blood pressure and a deer that will drop like it was hit in the head with a hammer.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 PM

A short story about a spine shot; One of my sons friends, Kevin, was on his very first archery hunt at the age of 14, and on opening morning a small forky walk right under his tree stand. Kevin took careful aim, but his arrow nailed the buck right in the spine. The buck lost all control of his rear half and started baaing and spinning in tight circles. Kevin didn't have a clear shot from his stand so he climbed down and approached the deer for a kill shot. The buck spun around and faced Kevin, (in Kevin’s words) and looked him square in the eye with his big brown eyes pleading for help. Well, Kevin couldn't shoot him again looking eye to eye and started circling to shoot him in the back of the neck. After about three 360's he gave up and let one go and it stuck right inthe bucksforehead. Not shooting allot of poundage the arrow didn't penetrate the skull and now he had a broken down unicorn very pissed and wanting to fight. This was way too much for Kevin to handle so he found his dad in a nearby tree stand and asked him to help finish off the buck. When they returned the buck had expired, but the experience was so traumatic Kevin lost all interest in bow hunting for deer. He loves duck and pheasant hunting and enjoys a good buck story now and then. I can't say I would have reacted the same way, but the moral of the story is: spine shots are not always the most humane way to kill a buck.

Oldpops

Old 11-20-2007, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep a spine shot will drop a deer in its tracks but will take a second shot to finish the job. My buck I killed this year I stalked it while it was in its bed down in a dried creek bed about 10 feet below me. I stalked right in behind and above him and put my arrow right behind the shoulder blades and cut the heart in 3 pieces and he jumped took two steps and dropped like a rock, no kicking no nothing just dead. I think he was dead before he ever stood up!! Walt
Old 11-20-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

i've had several deer flop right over from shots OTHER than spine shots. it happens.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Certainly, a variety of shots will drop a deer depending on circumstances. I would like to add to what Oldpops said by stating that a spine shot is almost never the most humane way to kill a deer.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

One of my sons friends, Kevin, was on his very first archery hunt at the age of 14, and on opening morning a small forky walk right under his tree stand. Kevin took careful aim, but his arrow nailed the buck right in the spine.
He took careful aim at what? It's hard to blame Kevin himself for this dilemma but the Bowhunting Education that he may or may not have received.

Quick Reply: Spine shot deer video???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.