Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what to do?

Old 07-20-2007, 08:09 PM

Default what to do?

how are ya?
This is going to bemy first year dearhunting, and im confused as to hunting with a rifle or a bow. ive used both at target ranges, and can shoot both sufficiently well.but i dont know if id be ready to use a bow hunting because its more challenging. tell me what you think i should do. gun hunt for the first year? or give the bow a try also?
Old 07-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what to do?

My dearest kev,
Since you always shoot the big browning and dominate me, you could use a bow. Since I show you up at sporting clays (everytime besides that one) I can help you be as good as me at shooting, and you could use a gun. I always say, if you are comfortable with the weapon GO KILL SOMETHING! Oh by the way guys this is my friend kevin, everyone say HI KEVIN.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:23 PM

Hey Kevin,
Welcome to the board. You should hunt which ever way you feel more comfortable, hunting is about getting outdoors and enjoying yourself and time spent with buddies. If you are a more practiced archer, bow hunt, nothing is more addicting... vice versa, more experienced shooter, try blastin some does or a good buck. Most importantly, make your choice based on what YOUR more comfortable with, remember its about quality not quantity. Try to have a good time no matter what you pick, good luck this year.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try to have a good time no matter what you pick
Oh he will, dont worry
Old 07-20-2007, 08:38 PM

Another thing Kevin, since its your first year.. dont worry too much about what you see online or on TV about BIG bucks, just get your first deer out of the way. You dont want to put too much pressure on yourself to try to kill a B&C buck your first time out, believe me its not like that. Shoot whatever your happy with, I still get worked up during doe season just trying to reduce doe numbers... A first year hunter is either going to fall instantly in love with it or never do it again (at least enjoy it). Dont get your hopesup if you dont even see a buck, or if you dont shoot one this year. Sounds like you got a good friend in Tikka, listen to him if he has more experience, he can help you out a lot. Every hunter has a few secrets that they have learned over the years learning the hard way, so if he is willing to share some with you along the way, thats great.

If it gets in your blood, watch out!! You'll be like most of the other guys on this forum that count the minutes from season to season...
Old 07-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck whatever you decide!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:30 PM

thanks bees knees for your support, and accepting me into the game of hunting im sure ill enjoy it. and your right its not about the big buck its the time spent waiting for it. Thanks again and good luck to you this upcoming season.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know about the state your in, but in OK, bow season lasts 3 1/2 months, and rifle season is only 16 days with a couple of extra doe days in December. So maybe you can do both. Have fun and be careful hanging your stands. That can be dangerous for even experienced hunters. Don't be to cool to wear a safety harness. Welcome to hunting.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hope you have the best of luck making memories this year. Why not try both? Up here in Canada we have different seasons for bow, ML,and rifle so check the regs. where you are from and if you can do both.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

With bow season stating a month or so ahead of rifle I agree with trying both. The only thing I wouldbe careful aboutis somebody that uses phrases like "My dearest Kev", unless Tikka is a female.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.