HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Would you have shot the last deer in this video three times?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:10 AM
djschuett

Default RE: Would you have shot the last deer in this video three times?

My first big buck I double-lunged him and he ran about 100 yards and kneeled down. When I got there he was beathing real heavy and turned and looked at me. I'm not the touchy feely hippy type at all, but I didn't like watching him suffer so I put another round into him. A little while later he started to groan and move to get up so I put a 3rd round into him.

My reasoning was 4-fold:
1. I wasn't an overly experienced hunter at the time (I'm still not, but learning more every year) and probably came for the deer too soon, but this relates to #4.
2. I hate to see an animal suffer (I've been known to back up and run over an animal I've hit a second time to make sure it's not suffering).
3. I hunt with a 20guage and want to make sure it's down.
4. I hunt densely hunted public land and I was afraid he'd run into another hunter's sites or jump a fence onto private land and I'd lose my deer.

That said, I thought he could have waited a bit more between the shots and let the deer either fall or tire out on it's own. Most of these videos are shot on what I would assume to be large tracks of private land with nice guns which eliminates my reasons 3 and 4.