HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Would you have shot the last deer in this video three times? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/198343-would-you-have-shot-last-deer-video-three-times.html)

parkerchamp 07-19-2007 03:52 PM

Would you have shot the last deer in this video three times?

Hey everyone. I'm sure that a lot of you have probably seen the preview video at www.climaxofthehunt.com. I just watched it last night for the first time and I think it looks very interesting.

However, I'm just curious as to how many people feel that three shots were necessary on the last deer.

Me and some buddies had a major debate over this and I'm just curious what everyone else thinks.

Here's a direct link to the video...

http://www.climaxofthehunt.com/videos/climaxpreview.rm

DoctorDeath 07-19-2007 08:15 PM

RE: Would you have shot the last deer in this video three times?

Dead is dead no matter how many times you shoot it ...maybe he did not want to have to try and track it ...but it appears he may have just been trying to put it down with as little suffering as possible

dd

uncle matt 07-19-2007 09:10 PM

why worry about it. Looks like it ceratainly would have went down, another shot or two to assure it? What's the problem?

Colorado Luckydog 07-19-2007 11:26 PM

I'm color blind and it makes it hard for me to track. Yes I would have shot all three times, or just dropped it with one good shot!;)

bdosas 07-20-2007 07:47 AM

One shot should be enough. Two maybe. Three you are just wasting a shot.

parkerchamp 07-21-2007 10:18 AM

I couldn't tell exactly where the first shot hit the deer, but to me it certainly looked like he wasn't going far. However, I have to be honest...

The first deer I ever shot was a big doe. I shot her three times, even though the first shot would have guaranteed a relatively quick death. And the first big buck I shot I actually shot five times, because I wanted to make sure that I didn't lose him. I was 15 years old at the time and obviously inexperienced.

I think that maybe that played an important role in the video...maybe and excited inexperienced hunter, maybe the first two shots just weren't good shots,maybe the hunter just wanted to end the deer's suffering as quickly as possible.

Anyway you look at it, it's a dead deer that will put meat on the table and a beautiful trophy for the wall. I am in NO way putting the hunter down...just wanted to get everybody's opinion.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

manuman 07-21-2007 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

why worry about it. Looks like it ceratainly would have went down, another shot or two to assure it? What's the problem?
Ditto!

djschuett 07-22-2007 09:10 AM

My first big buck I double-lunged him and he ran about 100 yards and kneeled down. When I got there he was beathing real heavy and turned and looked at me. I'm not the touchy feely hippy type at all, but I didn't like watching him suffer so I put another round into him. A little while later he started to groan and move to get up so I put a 3rd round into him.

My reasoning was 4-fold:
1. I wasn't an overly experienced hunter at the time (I'm still not, but learning more every year) and probably came for the deer too soon, but this relates to #4.
2. I hate to see an animal suffer (I've been known to back up and run over an animal I've hit a second time to make sure it's not suffering).
3. I hunt with a 20guage and want to make sure it's down.
4. I hunt densely hunted public land and I was afraid he'd run into another hunter's sites or jump a fence onto private land and I'd lose my deer.

That said, I thought he could have waited a bit more between the shots and let the deer either fall or tire out on it's own. Most of these videos are shot on what I would assume to be large tracks of private land with nice guns which eliminates my reasons 3 and 4.

mello_collins 07-22-2007 09:36 AM

If ya watch closely after the second shot blood is pouring out of the chest cavity. That is sufficient for me. That looks like TX or the southwest and the bushes bite back down there. Anchor the deer if possible.

mello

Buck_Slayer 07-22-2007 09:55 AM

How about the deer that he shot in the neck with his bow? or did i not see that clearly?

I have put more than one shot into my deer with the 12 guage. I am not one to watch them suffer.