Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Smoothbore shotgun slug accuracy? >

Smoothbore shotgun slug accuracy?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Smoothbore shotgun slug accuracy?

Old 12-11-2002, 06:44 PM
Spike

Default RE: Smoothbore shotgun slug accuracy?

Well, when shooting slugs, I shoot 3" Brenneke slugs. With my 870 Wingmaster, 26" improved cylinder barrel, off a bench I can make 3 shots touch. I just use the two beads. Without using holdover, my groups are about 2" lower than point of aim. I guess I am one of the really lucky ones.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:26 PM

I did not mean to say 3" groups at 100 yards are impossible...only they are not common and could not be expected. Atleast not from uncustomized guns. I am assuming that we are talking about your average everyday off the shelf smoothbore shotgun.

Misplaced I will gladly buy you the ammo to see you shoot several groups inside 3 inches at 100 yards lol.... and then probly try to talk you into selling me the gun

as for misplaced's son and ducka shooting 3 shot groups that all touch at 100 yards...well what can I say lol anyone else here find that highly unlikely?

** I almost got him but I refuse to take a marginal shot **
Old 12-12-2002, 08:50 AM

Well, I have an Ithica 16 guage that I have sighted in at 100 yards and will shoot 3-4 inch groups consistantly with the right ammno. Remmingtons it will throw all over the place but the winchester or federal will shoot extremely well out to 100 yards.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

knobby shooting from a bench with a scope and using the same ammo every time, I would be careful about what you challenge some one to. There is that occasional smoothbore that from a bench with the right shooter can do what misplaced son does. There are very few smoothbores that can cloverleaf at 100 yards consistantly, but they exist, remember that every gun is slightly different, whether they are mass produced or custom.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 12-12-2002, 09:10 AM

I have several shotguns that will shoot 3 inch groups at 100 yds. One is my grandfathers Sears and Roebuck 16 gauge pump with a full choke and a 28" barrel shooting remington 2 3/4" sluggers. The other is my Remington 870 28" vent rib w/ IC choke tube and Active 2 3/4" rifled slugs. It all depends on the gun and ammo combination. I think just about any gun can shoot a 3" group provided you put in the time and money looking for and testing all the different ammo.

If you really want to stretch your range you need a rifled barrel and sabot's. My buddy shot a doe at 227 yds as she was trotting across a field, his gun was an Ithaca Deerslayer III with a Leoupold 2-7X32 shooting 2 3/4" Winchester Supreme Partition Gold's. He hit it through both lungs and the deer went approx 50 yds and died. Let me explain a couple of things before evreyone goes crazy, the doe had a broken leg, he had used his laser range finder to get the distance and he had burned 15 boxes at $12.50 a box prior to going out hunting. From a bench he hit a coffee can every time at 200 yds during our trips to the range. He also shoots more in a week than most guys shoot in 2 years. The first deer he shot was a feeding doe at 165 yds and he ranged it with his range finder prior to shooting. He lent the gun to another guy in our group and he shot a doe that was feeding at 154 yds, once again the distance was verified with a range finder prior to shooting. If you want to put $1100 into a gun and scope and then buy a $300 range finder and spend another $200 on ammo you can get rifle-like performance out of your gun.

Edited by - Forestboy on 12/12/2002 10:14:10
Old 12-12-2002, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do any of you have any experience with smoothbores with rifled choke tubes? I was thinking of getting one so I could shoot sabot slugs. I hear they are not as good as a rifled barrel but might turn a 75 yard gun into a 100 yard gun. One thing about 2 3/4" rifled slugs, you can't beat the price, I got a 5 box of federals for less than 3 bucks. I wish they sold rifle bullets in 5 packs.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 12-12-2002, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

All I can say is...buy an Ithaca. Deerslayers are the ultimate slug gun, either smoothbore or rifled barrel.

I have an old Model 37 12ga. smoothbore, and can consistently get 2-4 inch groups at 75 yards. Without a scope, I can consistently get 4-6 inch groups at 100 yards with Federals.

This year I picked up a few boxes of Brenneke's, and they outperform the Federals, better accuracy with a reduced recoil.

Hey SCB, I also find that Rems go all over the place, some not even finding the target at 50 yards.

I'm not surprised with what Forestboy stated...and the new Ithaca Storms are supposed to have even greater accuracy...that's almost scary.

S&R

Old 12-12-2002, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Winchester 1200 that I use for any gun hunting I do. It will hit a milk jug every time at 100 yards and has consistently been reliable on deer at ranges out to 93 yards--hit right where I was aiming and dropped the deer in it's tracks. It's an off-the-shelf smoothbore with screw-in chokes.

That said, slug guns are a short-range gun. They're better today than they used to be and I believe that--with work--4-5" groups at 100 yards are attainable with the right load combinations for most modern shotguns. Smoothbores will have less accuracy than rifled barrels will and should be thoroughly tested and practiced before determining your effective range.

Today's small bucks are tomorrow's trophies.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:58 PM

Taz as I said b4 its not impossible only highly unlikely...and its not a challenge as much as I would like to see it done.

Myself and many friends have been slug gun hunting in Ohio for 20 years and I have NEVER seen a smoothbore slug gun shoot 3 shot groups at 100 yards where all the bullet holes touch. 3" groups at 100 yards is not common at all...atleast not consistent. I dont wanna talk about that one time way back when...when someone shot a 3 shot group that touched. I wanna see someone shoot 10 or 15 shots in a row into a 3" circle becuz only if you can do that would I consider it a 100 yard gun under hunting situations.

and mainly I was just trying to answer Bulzeye's original question of what could be expected...and for the vast majority of smoothbores that would be 50-75 yards.

** I almost got him but I refuse to take a marginal shot **