Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Slug Accuracy

Old 09-24-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Slug Accuracy

Ok well i have a Deer Tracker II fully rifled slug gun and a Mossberg 500 with Full, Modified and Improved Cylinder Chokes. The area we are hunting is a deer hotspot and the average shot is between 25-50 yards because of the terrain. I saw on the mossberg website that the improved cylinder choke is the most popular to shoot slugs out of and i think i've decided i want to use my Mossberg as it is heavier, won't kick as much as the deer tracker II and i'm able to put a red dot/ scope on it as it is drilled and tapped. Will my Mossberg be accurate enough at 25-50 yards to use it? What slugs would you recommend?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:43 PM

Default RE: Slug Accuracy

well i tryed shooting slugs out of my Benelli and could not get much Accuracy, what i know now is that the main thing is to keep you barrel clean,slugs burn the plastic from the wad into the barrel,winchester slugs shot the best and did not gunk my barrel up as bad,sence then I have changed to a 870 with a rifled slug barrel and shot the Hornady SST and have it sighted in @ 150 yard and man that thingleaves a blood trail, but it dose kick, but you dont even notice when you shoot at a deer
i also shoot a 270 and a 30-06 but i really like going back to the old slug gun every now and then
Lenny
Old 09-24-2007, 05:24 PM

Well the only slugs i would be shooting are to sight it in as best as i can and for deer season. Its a quick fix until i can get the money to either buy a rifled slug barrel ($148) or an Ultra Slug Hunter. Best case scenario is i can trade or sell my gun and use it towards a rifled slug barrel.

*Edit* I have found a Rifled Choke Tube that is compatible with my Mossberg 500, will this make it much more accurate? And can i fire sabots out of it or just rifled slugs?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

I shot two slugs through my Maverick 88 from 50 yds the other day. I painted a fist sized circle on a tree and measured 50yds with the rangefinder. 50yds, two shots....both two inches left and two inches high in the same hole. I've got the choke that came in it and the improved cylinder choke but I can't remember which is in it right now. 50yds would be stretch shot for me with it, but I know I'll hit the kill zone. I think mine would probably be a good bet out to about 40yds.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Spike

I used to use my Remington 870 with a rifled slug barrell and a scope mounted on top. I wfelt comfortable shooting out to 100 yards. Could get a pretty good group at 125 but I just didn't feel good about it. I've taken deer at 100 though. I would use the rifled barrel.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:01 PM
Spike

I remember being able to put 3 rounds on a standard paper plate with the smooth slug barrel and open sights on my 870 at around 25 yards with el cheapo slugs.

I have since gone to a rifled cantilever slug barrel; can do about a 3" pattern at 100 yards with Hornady sabots and a shotgun scope.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

You shouldn't have any problem with 25 - 50 yards shooting slugs out of the Mossberg with the smoothe bore. I do kind of the same thing, When I hunt in the woods and my range is limited I use my Mossberg 500 with a smoothe bore slug barrel with rifled sights - It loves the Federal Tru ball slugs - I would deffinately advise looking into them - I feel very confident shooting that setup out to about 80 yards I could probably go further but when I hunt in more open areas I use my 11-87 with the fully rifled barrel with a nikon scope and shoot the Hornady sst's, those I feel good about shooting 150 yards plus with a good rest.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very intresting answers.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

You need to find out before you go. Practise.

My mossburg, rifled barrel, scoped is very accurate. I use the sabot slugs of 1900 fps. Remington/Winchester and have no problemsout to150yrds.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

Ok well i have a Deer Tracker II fully rifled slug gun and a Mossberg 500 with Full, Modified and Improved Cylinder Chokes. The area we are hunting is a deer hotspot and the average shot is between 25-50 yards because of the terrain. I saw on the mossberg website that the improved cylinder choke is the most popular to shoot slugs out of and i think i've decided i want to use my Mossberg as it is heavier, won't kick as much as the deer tracker II and i'm able to put a red dot/ scope on it as it is drilled and tapped. Will my Mossberg be accurate enough at 25-50 yards to use it? What slugs would you recommend?
Didn't know you could shoot slugs with screw in choke ? was that your intention ?

Quick Reply: Slug Accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.