HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Smoothbore shotgun slug accuracy?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2002, 09:10 AM
Forestboy

Default RE: Smoothbore shotgun slug accuracy?

I have several shotguns that will shoot 3 inch groups at 100 yds. One is my grandfathers Sears and Roebuck 16 gauge pump with a full choke and a 28" barrel shooting remington 2 3/4" sluggers. The other is my Remington 870 28" vent rib w/ IC choke tube and Active 2 3/4" rifled slugs. It all depends on the gun and ammo combination. I think just about any gun can shoot a 3" group provided you put in the time and money looking for and testing all the different ammo.

If you really want to stretch your range you need a rifled barrel and sabot's. My buddy shot a doe at 227 yds as she was trotting across a field, his gun was an Ithaca Deerslayer III with a Leoupold 2-7X32 shooting 2 3/4" Winchester Supreme Partition Gold's. He hit it through both lungs and the deer went approx 50 yds and died. Let me explain a couple of things before evreyone goes crazy, the doe had a broken leg, he had used his laser range finder to get the distance and he had burned 15 boxes at $12.50 a box prior to going out hunting. From a bench he hit a coffee can every time at 200 yds during our trips to the range. He also shoots more in a week than most guys shoot in 2 years. The first deer he shot was a feeding doe at 165 yds and he ranged it with his range finder prior to shooting. He lent the gun to another guy in our group and he shot a doe that was feeding at 154 yds, once again the distance was verified with a range finder prior to shooting. If you want to put $1100 into a gun and scope and then buy a $300 range finder and spend another $200 on ammo you can get rifle-like performance out of your gun.

Edited by - Forestboy on 12/12/2002 10:14:10