Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 should i go elk hunting (is it worth the price) >

should i go elk hunting (is it worth the price)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

should i go elk hunting (is it worth the price)

Old 01-13-2007, 12:03 AM

Default RE: should i go elk hunting (is it worth the price)

ORIGINAL: MinnFinn

If you have trouble justifying paying a full price outfitter the first time, I recommend you find a exceptionallyreliable hunting buddy who has hunted Elk a number of years with success.

That's how I got into Elk hunting 4 years ago. Man I was amazed by the whole experience. I realized this was a whole other level of hunting, Elk in the mountains.

You better be in the best shape of you life. Have the equipment you need to get in and out safely (e.g. the right clothes, solid built boots, rifle you can hit in tight groups out to 300 yards, GPS, etc. etc.) You'll work harder than you'd ever worked before just to get up and down the ridges, draws and mountainsides. And if you're fortunate enough to drop an Elk, you'll work even harded to get the animal out. But that's the good kind of work that you'll remember.

Think about safety and not only how to get in, but how to get out of where you're at. You need to hunt with at least one other experienced guide or hunting buddy.

But if you do it right, with the country, animals and possibility of seeing/shooting an Elk, you'll be back!
That just about somes it up for me to, is it worth it dam strait if done right I live for the Big Hunt" Elk Hunt" and have not missed a year for over 16 years. We do it all no guides, rent our horses, pack in set up camp. to compare being a new Elk hunter to something, it's like when Jeramie Johnson first got to the mountain.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have Elk hunted since I was 15. My Dad took me, it was a seven day guided trip the first 4 days it never got above 0 degrees Feirenhiet (SP)? I swore it off. Until I shot my elk. Now I do it yourself hunt out of Carbondale, CO and I have taken 4 BUlls in five years of hunting it. It is also beautiful country and to experiance some of the back country is awesome. That is what takes me back out there year after year. So in my opinion it came be some of the best money ever spent.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:05 PM

Elk Hunting in my opinion is worth every cent. I have whitetail deer hunted since I was about ten, and there is no comparison. Yes it is extremely different & difficult, but an absolute blast. I would highly recommend trying it at least once.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:25 PM

screw the elk hunt.... you can go and spend 10 days in south africa and be just about garrenty to shot some alwsome stuff. But when your droppen all the money on an elk. you just paying money to be standing in elk country with a gun of bow "hoping " to see an elk. but in africa you can spend $7600
(thats what i spent) and killed 12 animals. It was alwsome. that plan ticket shipping and trophy fees. EVERYTHING for less than a good elk hunt
Old 01-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

hunter xpy: You say you have always dreamed of BECOMING a big game hunter. My recommendation is that if you have not done any big game hunting yet, that you first try some other big game hunting before elk hunting. Many states have affordable, rewarding deer hunting. Failing that option for a gentle introduction to big game hunting, I would recommend arranging for a pronghorn antelope hunt in Wyoming, for example unit 23 which has a 100% draw for non-residents for several years (but not very big horns, typically).

I don't know what deer hunt success rates are, but they aren't going to be less than elk. The pronghorn hunt has a 90% success rate, so you are almost certain to score. Neither the deer or the pronghorn hunt need be physically challenging. Some areas have severely cold weather for hunting deer, but you can often hunt pronghorn in mild weather. Cut your teeth first on the less expensive, less physically challenging, higher success deer or pronghorn hunting before going elk hunting.

If you like your initial big game hunting experiences, then by all means go for elk hunting. But most would agree elk hunting is expensive and physically demanding in a way that neither deer hunting or pronghorn hunting are. Elk hunting is great and deeply statisfying. If you like big game hunting, elk hunting is definitely worth the price -- if you have the money to pay for it.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

It's not that expensive. You definitely don't need a guide. In fact, I find them an inconvenience. I want to go where I want to go, not where he tells me to go. Research a little and apply for some public land tags, I suggest New Mexico #1 if you have not applied previously. If you don't draw go to Colorado but don't expect a big bull. Get your CO points and in two years you can be in a decent bull unit. Get yourself some elk hunting videos and you will be good to go.

Also, get yourself in shape. Work out hard all summer and you will be ready come September.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:09 PM

It is well worth the cost, Elk Hunting can become an obsesion. Trust Me I know, I live from one elk Season to another, there is no better Archery trophy in my opinion.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

I have also hunted in Colorado by myself, there is literally millions of public hunting acres of land. Far more than we have here in Iowa.

I went out there myself two years ago and got a large male my second day, probably a little lucky. I have two friends that have also made similar trips without guides and have had luck 3 or four times.

I think that its not as challenging as sometimes people make it out to be, (I was hunting high powered rifle), there is more hiking, and much more animal to carry. Other than that I found it similar to hunting whitetail in the rut - with the calling and scent tactics.

I would try it on my own if you are on a budget and see how things go.