Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cold Feet?

Old 11-21-2002, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cold Feet?

First I use to have the sweaty foot problem, I quit smoking and the feet quit sweating and stopped stinking to. Any way I use grabber toe warmers, they are flat and work great try grabberwarmer.com. I bought a pair of cheep KMart moon boot looking boots lots of room for double socks and wiggle room. I think the loose fit is most important, allows for air space in the sock material that holds the warmth in. Good hunting to you Striper Phil
Old 11-21-2002, 02:08 PM

At wally world you can buy boot inserts that have a little slot under the toes. Take out the foam insert when it's cold and insert those little foot warmer sacks (I think foot warmer might be the brand or Hot Hands?) Anyway -- you're feet might still sweat (though some of the tips mentioned are worth a try) but the controlled rust chemical action generates heat for 6-8 hours. They are vunderbar. You can just drop one of those packets in your boot, but it's always sliding around and finding the most uncomfortable part of your foot to annoy -- best to use the boot inserts.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

I suffered with cold feet for years before I finally broke down and bought a new pair of boots designed specifically for cold temperatures. Its the smartest decision I ever made. There are hundreds of kinds out there, but I selected a pair made by Baffin. I think they are called Trapper boots. Buy boots that over-rated for the temps you expect. In other words, if you expect to sit in temps of 0-20 degrees, buy boots rated to minus 20 degrees. You cant stop your feet from sweating when you hike, but you CAN stop the cold from ever getting to them with these kind of boots...I only have to one pair of socks!! Mine were under $150 and WORTH EVERY PENNY. I only wear them when the temps are going to justify it, so they will last for years and years.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:42 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-21-2002, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

I had the same problem for years. This year is the first year I found the right combination (for me anyway). I bought a pair of Irish Setter boots with 1,200 grams of thinsulate and Gore-Tex lining. They are also about 2 sizes bigger then my shoe size. I wear a pair of wicking liner socks under a pair of regular everyday white socks. So far I've hunting from a stand in temps ranging from 20-50 degrees and haven't had a problem.

In the past I used to double up on socks, wear the real thick wool socks, boot socks, electric socks, etc. None of them ever worked for me because my feet just kept on sweating and then freezing when I stopped. Just remember this one thing "A tight boot is a light boot, but a loose boot is a warm boot". Give them feet room to breathe.

MassBowhunter
"Climb Higher, Look Lower, Fall Asleep Less"

Old 11-23-2002, 03:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-23-2002, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

To start with the boots that I wear are oversized, to allow for thick socks and room for your feet to breath. They are "Kamik" rubber boots with a thick felt liner. They also have a drawstring to seal out the elements.($40) Available online at http://www.sportsmansguide.com They also have gortex boot liners, that work well for wicking away moisture and keeping your feet dry.($12) I get my heavy weight longjohns from there also (polypropylene $20 per piece) but well worth it, polypro balaclava $10, in extreme cold I double them.
H.S.sents makes a product called scent-a-way powder, that is for tough persperation areas and is odor free.
The socks I wear are from Walmart and are merino wool/polypropylene blend.
I use the hand-warm-ups and foot-warm-ups from Walmart(and there is a differance) The hand warmups have a tendancy to get hard when they absorb the foot moisture, whereas the foot warmups stay soft. There are socks designed to hold these warmers or you can take a small safetypin and fasten them to the top of your toe area.

The best of luck in all your hunting endeavors!!!

God Bless,
Dave
Old 11-24-2002, 04:02 PM

I walk 30 mins or so to my stand. I've had the same problem. I walk to my stand (which is for the whole day)in reg cotton socks ,yea there wet when I get to my stand, then I change them to a liner sock then a wool sock. You don't want tight boots. Most people make the mistake of pulling there boot strings so tight that it will cut circulation off to your feet. Keep your boot laces loose while your on your stand. This should help it did for me . Mike