Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

cold feet

Old 09-07-2002, 05:11 AM

Default cold feet

I have trouble every year with my feet getting cold. I hunt in Ks. temp. around 15 degree sometimes colder. My question is how many grams of insolation do I need to make sure my feet stay warm 600 800 1000 and what brand of boot? Thanks for any help you can give me. Im tired of cold feet.

Old 09-07-2002, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: cold feet

My feet always get cold and I usually use my pacs (600 grams thinsulate). One thing I found that helps me are the slipper socks. They have the wool sock and a leather sole. I wear these in insulated rubber boots. You have to make sure you buy bigger sizes in the boots. Also try walking in dressed light (feet too) so you don't get sweated up. When you reach your stand then get dressed.

Old 09-07-2002, 08:56 AM

try using anti-perspirant on your feet,keeping them dry is the most important part of keeping them warm
Old 09-07-2002, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

I have the perfect solution for cold feet. They are called Ice Breaker boot blankets they slip over your boots once you get to you stand. my feet have NEVER gotten cold since I bought these I never go to my stand without them when it is cold. I used to get cold feet when the temp was in the 40's , no problems now i hunt comfortably in the single digits. My first pair got burned on my 4-wheeler muffler and i bought a thin lined off brand as a replacement. they sucked i took them back and got another pair of boot blankets. I think cabelas still sells them.

Old 09-07-2002, 09:48 AM

you can wear the fanciest and most expensive boots you want. if you feet swet, your feet will get cold. the bset boot i have found to wear that will keep your feet comfortable all day in 10 to 20 degree weather are La Crosse rubber boots stock #189010. for weather colder than that i have lacrosse timber wear. these boots kept my feet warm in alaska in february. what is really neat about these is you are not supposed to wear socks. they work great.

i one thing you must remember plastic boots will make you feet cold make sure the entire boot or the covering of the foot area is rubber

hunt on
Old 09-07-2002, 10:16 AM

oobuckshot

At those temperatures, are you seeing much deer movement to make your misery worthwhile?

Having warm feet does not start and end with the right socks and right boots.

Concerning sitting in a stand, ground or elevated, and having no other adverse conditions as a contributing cause -such as wet feet, cold feet can be caused by many factors. However, following are some common factors and helpful hints. Thanks to my being in the fields long before specialized clothing, and thanks to the USMC for putting my butt where penguins would consider it too cold to be.

First rule: Money correlates with warmth in graduating degrees. The more you are able and willing to spend, the warmer you will be.
Second rule: Best type of material. Cotton and polyester are two of the worse materials to put next to skin in cold weather.
Third rule: Loose clothing. Many hunters look as though they have had their clothing tailored in case a GQ photographer happens by.

1. Clothing does not create body heat. Clothing creates an air barrier around your body and then your escaping body heat warms this air barrier. Therefore, the more layers you use, and the looser the clothing, the greater the air barrier.
2. Your legs generate a great amount of your body heat. Many neglect this area. Many hunters will pile on the clothing on their upper body, and may wear one piece of insulated clothing beneath their insulated trousers.
4. To have warm feet is highly dependent upon having a warm body.
5. Clothing, type and amount, that keeps you warm when moving, may not keep you warm when sitting, especially footwear.

In moderately cold weather, I wear 3 layers of loose fitting insulated underclothing. REMEMBER, to appropriately layer and maintain a loose fit, you have to use a larger size for each layer.

-My first layer is a 2-piece, silk and wool blend.
-My second layer is a 2-piece, medium weight, "Thermax" type material.
-My third layer is a 2-piece, heavy weight, fleece lined, "Thermax" type material.
- I wear a pure wool sweater I purchased in Wales. A fleece pullover also works well.
- For a jacket (I sew and tailor, and make my own), I wear one that has a sailcloth lining.
- I wear heavy gauge fabric or insulated bibs.

Boots and Socks:

Regarding boots, greater grams of "Thinsulate" does not always mean greater warmth. Depending on manufacturer and/or weave, A 600-gram can be warmer than 1000-gram. Buy a known brand.

If your feet are chronically cold, go for the 1000-gram. However, be aware, unless the manufacture lists both, the warmth rating is based on walking, not sitting.

Boots that are best for sitting should be roomy. In fact, a good boot for those that have chronically cold feet may be sloppy when walking.

Personally, I find that high-quality rubber boots that close at the top and high-quality "Thinsulate" or wool-blend inserts work best for me.

Socks are the ultimate factor to consider for the final touch of keeping your feet warm. Many hunters grossly neglect this area. DO NOT WEAR COTTON OR POLYESTER, OR A BLEND OF EITHER, NEXT TO YOUR FEET. I wear 2 loose pairs of pure wool, or a wool/nylon blend with no less than 80-85 per cent wool. Some wear the special poly or silk blend socks as the first layer. I tried them, they made my feet cold and my feet do not get cold.

If I have a long distance to walk, I will wear only one pair of socks. When I get to my stand, I will put on a fresh pair next to my feet, and put the ones I walked in over the fresh pair.

Be aware of anything that impedes circulation. Tight belt, leaning on thighs too long, sitting on an uncushioned surface, etc.

Another possibility to consider is the large boot pacs that used to be popular for stand sitting. I have never used them so I cannot tell you if they work.

I can tell you what did work for me in extreme cold weather when sitting, and worked well.

Using a military severe weather sleeping bag, I cutout and sewed a set of "mukluk" type boots that tied just below my knees. I took off my outer boot, and using only the inserts I put my feet in the homemade mukluks. I never felt the slightest sensation of cold.

I do not have a need for such foot protection anymore; I got smart. When the cold is severe I do what the deer do, I stay in bed.