Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cold Feet

Old 11-08-2004, 10:39 PM

Default Cold Feet

Does anyone have any advice on keeping feet warm during cool and cold weather? I have tried everything, and my feet freeze all of the time. I have tried thick socks with light boots, heavy sock and heavy boots, light socks and heavy boots, heated socks, foot warmers. You named it I have probably tried it. One thing I am going to try next is, to take an extra pair of socks with me, and change them after I get in the stand. I am just worried about having the scent of used socks in my backpack or pockets. I did buy a pair of socks at bass pro a year or so ago. They are redhead brand, and are the treestand "model". They seem to work better than anything else, but feet still get cool. Its not bad for a few hours at a time, but its preventing me from sitting all day. Any thoughts/ideas?
Old 11-09-2004, 03:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cold Feet

I use the heaviest gram insulated boots I can find. I think I'm up to 1500 or 1800. Go one size big because if they're too small this leads to cold feet. I use sock liners and thick wool socks. I found some some brands work better then others. I can't tell you what brand but I know them when I see them. I will also double up the cheaper ones if thats all I have. I think the combo of the liners and heavy sock work very well.

I like you had tried everything. The heated ones seem to work well but I didn't like changing into them once in my stand. Plus the extra batteries where a pain.

If this fails to work, move to a warmer place and quit hunting on cold days.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:44 AM
Fork Horn

Hello
Try those little heat packets that are air activated. They come in two styles, one has adhesive that sticks to your toes and the other you need to buy a insole pad for your boot (Probably $7 at Wal Mart), which the little packet then slides into the toe portion.
I like the one with the insole pad. Those that stick to the underside of your sock seem to move around when you walk and then end up in a position thats uncomfortable. The one that slides in the pad will always stay in place and they stay warm for several hours at least.
Make sure you buy the packets that are for feet and not hands since theres a difference with the amount of air required.

Happy Hunting
Dan
Old 11-09-2004, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, what I actually found out the was my problem is when I would wear two pairs of socks, my foot would abviously get bigger. Well this made my boot tight to my foot and it made me much colder than when I had space inside the boot. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2004, 05:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Boot blankets by Icebreaker. I can almost guarantee you that your feet will not get cold. I had similar problems when the cold weather started and eventually just broke down and bought a pair. I don't regret it for a minute. For $50 they definitely were worth it.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

believe it or not if you use unscented anti perspirant (spray on type) your feet will stay much warmer. feet get cold due to sweat evaporating , if you eliminate the sweat your feet will stay much warmer much longer
Old 11-09-2004, 08:22 AM

I agree 100% with PABowhntr. I bought a pair before last years season. I spent 11 hours on stand one day where the temp never got above 15 degrees and on the opening of gun season the temp was -15 degrees and my feet never got cold. The best $50 I ever spent.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:08 AM

A good sock that wicks away sweat helps me. After hunting i put my boots on a boot dryer until the afternoon hunt. Helps me.