Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cold Feet?

Old 11-20-2002, 10:29 AM

Default Cold Feet?

No matter what I do, my feet sweat on the walk into my stand and soon thereafter are cold. I wear poly liners then either cotton or wool socks. I've also tried plastic grocery bags over my socks to prevent the inside of my boot from absorbing the moisture but unless I change to dry socks once at my stand my damp feet still get cold. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cold Feet?

I have the same problem as you and sitting in our usual cold climate can be murder. The only thing I have found is Polyproplene socks (moisture wicking, like for winter skiing), then a pair of wool socks over top and a good pair of boots with thinsulate 800grams and up. I aslo have found that if you buy your boots a little loose in size not tight fitting. If you can wiggle the toes then they are perfect. My boots are drenched from sweat after a full day and need to be throughly dried out for the next day. I hunted minus temperatures last week and only one evening felt the cool wet feeling I experienced in years prior, but I had walked almost all day and my feet looked like prunes that night. If you are sitting in one location all day, where a pair of rubber boots in, change socks and boots and sit. Take a black garbage bag to place your wet boots and socks, then tie tight and hang in the tree. I usually move lots so this isn't an option, but for you it might just work fine. I still would wear some time of sock that will wick moisture and wool while sitting, I bet your feet sweat just sitting their.

I feel your pain!!

Old 11-20-2002, 10:36 PM
pup

i use toe warmers it is a little tosti on the way to the stand but it is nice after that....

small but deadly
Old 11-20-2002, 11:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use boot blankets when it gets really cold.You put them right over your boots.They're a little bulky,but they're light and my feet have never gotten cold while wearing these.One of the best cold-weather investments I ever made.They're about $50/pair but well worth it if you're going to be sitting on stand in cold weather.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:30 AM

Man, I know what you mean! This can be complete torcher. I too have tried many things and the only thing that I have managed to come up with is as soon as I get up I put my socks on.

Then put my feet in my cabin boots to start getting my feet warm. After breakfast I put my very insolated boots on.

But, the trick is to tuck you long johns, if you ware the, in your socks and your jeans in your boots.

It's the cold air that finds its way in there while in your stand.

My feet have been soooo, cold that I have had to take my boots off in the stand and put hand warmers in them, then but my boots back on.

You could also try heated socks but I think some of those brands are a fluke. Last pair I had dang near burnt me and the ones before did'nt to a thing?

Good Luck!

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 11-21-2002, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Try spraying your feet with Right Guard Anti-Perspirant before you put on your socks.

Old 11-21-2002, 06:27 AM
Spike

Moisture management is key to keeping feet warm. Never wear cotton socks. Cotton absorbs moisture and hangs onto it. It will not wick to the next layer no matter what it is. Plastic bread bags won't work either because they do not let your feet breathe. You have to get that moisture away from your feet.

I agree that polypro liners and a good quality wool sock are ideal. As are boots that allow you wiggle room. I think I'm hearing from you that the main issue is how much your feet sweat. My son is like this also. Therefore his boots are breathable goretex not leather. Both pair have thinsulate insulation; one is 1000 grams the other pair 600 grams. He has been known to change socks once he gets to his stand if his feet become too sweaty from the hike in.

Lastly there are foot sprays and powders you can buy the help prevent sweaty feet. Look for something unscented. Hope this helps.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:17 AM

test
Old 11-21-2002, 08:21 AM

I have found that WOOL socks (good merino wool, not just any wool) keep their insulating properties even when they're wet. The better news is that some companies make a wool blend that wicks moisture away. Plastic bags trap moisture, and that can be bad, although it does add an extra layer of insulation. The problem comes when the bags keep your feet from becoming warm again after they've let them become cold.

The other useful outdoor adage for this situation goes something like this: "Ears Cold - put a hat on. Hands cold - put a hat on. Feet Cold - put a hat on. ______ cold - put a hat on." Your head is where most of your body heat is lost. Believe me, putting a hat on early will mean your feet don't get cold until later.

Nate
Old 11-21-2002, 08:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Battery opperated socks. Walk to the stand with the batteries out, once you get there put the batteries in. Toes stay tostie.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" Martin Luther King Jr.

Quick Reply: Cold Feet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.