Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rattling Help?

Old 10-18-2006, 09:31 PM

Default Rattling Help?

Please share your proven rattling techniques...How often, loudness, duration, etc.

I think I'm just scaring them away.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rattling Help?

In the early season before pre - rut you don't want to rattle too loud or too long .
If your using real shed antlers thats better but if your using a rattle bag theres really nothing wrong with it , its just that most bags have wooden dowles and they really don't sound real.
Any way to answer your question : early season start lightand soft , try to sound like two young bucks sparring and keep it short like about two to three minutes or so.
Pre - rut season is when you want to get a little more intense with your rattling , make it sound like an all out brawl slaming the antlers or bag as loud as you can.
When doing this be prepaird to do the distance , you might have to rattle your butt off for about five to seven minutes or longer.
In my past experence I have found that its easyer when your in a ground blind , reason for that is you can stomp and scrape the ground and if you have athick bushnear by you can rake the brush.
When your in a treestand , you can rub the tree with your bag and stomp on your platform but itwon't sound the same.
I hope this answers your question and I hope it helps in your sucess , good luck and have a safe season.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I definately haven't been rattling for that long of a duration. We have a lot of bucks on our place, but they're mostly nocturnal (based on the pictures I've been getting). I'd really like toroust one of the big boys out of his bed.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:51 AM

I'm starting to see alot of rubs and scrapes here in Eastern NC.
The bachelor groups have already split up also.
Would this be considered the pre- rut?
I've never tried rattling or scents and am curious enough to give it a shot this season.
There is a huge buck in the area I hunt, but no pressure at all because nobody hunts the area but me and a friend or 2 occasionally.
I'd like to draw him out.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rubs and scrapes are not really a sign of pre - rutbut its not too far away .
When you hear or see two bucks sparring or fighting , thats a good sign of pre - rut and when you see bucks chasing does that a sure sign that the pre - rut going on.
This would be a real good time to try rattling , but like Isaid in my first reply start off light and soft by the first two weeks of Nov. thats when you want to get more intense about your rattling.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok first off i agree with just about everything is said excypt the early rattling before bucks start chasing there is really no purpose because bucks will be curious but the wont come charging in they will take there time circle down wind and bust you.

and like most people you want to kill the biggest or most dominant buck which they will be the first to bed with a doe and wait for them to come into estrus just 3 days ago i happend upon a doe and a 160+ size buck feeding after some rain had just fallen Im just glad i didnt spook them so i know hes still around till she goes into estrus then after the first does come into estrus and you actually see some breeding then is the time to start rattling.

some good techniques to use is rattle for 2-4 minutes then wait for 15-45 minutes and just watch and what I like to do first is i use a doe bleat for about 1 minute then grunt a few times with 2 diffrent calls to simulate 2 diffrent bucks then i rattle like a big ol fight then i wait for awhile and repeat and if its gun season change locations about every 2 sequencescause the deer will figure it out eveuntually

GOOD LUCK TO ALL AND HAPPY HUNTING!!!