Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Skunked so far?

Old 10-16-2006, 08:54 PM

Default Skunked so far?

Congrats to all who have harvested so far this season,but lets hear from the folks who have been hunting but haven't been able to put one on the ground yet.

My season started on Saturday and I have seen two does about 400 yards away(no doe tag) I've seen more yotes than deer. Saturday was dry and it was really hard to keep quiet,well it started raining sunday and it carried over to taday.
Sunday I ignored the discomfort and hunted pretty much all day. I did stop for lunch and figured when I went back to the field I would hunt the south corner of the state land I was on,when I started making my way out there I saw orange and figured some one was in the spot. Then I saw the dude dragging out a deer.Why did I leave my lunch in the car?
Today it rained hard almost all day and I was completely soaked by 11am. My water proof boots failed and I was making a squish squish sound with every step. I was miserable and starting to get a little depressed and now I'm coming down with a sore throat[:@]So that's my season so far, tell me I'm not the only one having a tough go of it.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Skunked so far?

I have been out ten times- the only signs of movements that I have seen are birds- 2 squirrels- and 3 does about 70 yards away...other then that, NOTHING!!!

Really starting to make me angry.... the 3 does that I seen were running into another set of woods and when I was walking tomy truck a guy was driving around looking for the doe that he shot in the butt...People like that really make me angry..I know things can happen with your shot but if you cant hit a deer in the kill zone you have no business hunting. Just my $0.02

Probably doesnt help me out much that the forest preserve 5 miles away from me killed 600 deer two years ago and 750 last year...
Old 10-17-2006, 12:07 AM

Default RE: Skunked so far?

I have been out twice. The first time i went out it turns out there was about 2 1/2-3 feet of snow so there werent any animals moving what so ever except for the animals that were able to walk through it which was a cow and a bull moose. The second time i went out i seen 7 whitetail does and 2 mulie does and the only tags we have for that area was mulie buck and general whitetail but i didnt want to use my whitetail tag on a doe this early in the season with lots of hunting still left to do.