Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Got skunked again

Old 04-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got skunked again

well, i went back this afternoon and saw plenty of birds but still no kill, i got there and set up teh blind and with in ten mins two big gooblers came out and would have came to us but the decoy blew over [:@][:@][:@]so we waited it out anyway. a hen came out a lil bit later 10 yds away and then 2 more bout 50 tehn it starts to boom and light up the sky. so we decide to leave ( glad we did it is a severe one) and when we get to the truck there is the biggest gobbler with his hen right there with him no time to do a stalk cuz the storm is now here and i wasnt gonna risk a 60 yd shot[:'(]will be back there in the morning
Old 04-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Got skunked again

I got skunked to.
It wasn't turkeys it was 4 hunters and a game warden
Then on top of that I got rained on and soaking wet [:@]

To top it off I heard from the neigbors that what they seen turkeys crossing the road from where I was at on public land.

And so far I haven't seen any sign of them coming back [&:]

I am not sure if its the hunting pressure or what.

Im new to turkey hunting and making mistakes,
Hopely I will over come and prevale.
Any way I am going to keep on till I get something.

Good Luck to you
Old 04-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw 2 gobblers on day 1,then some on day 2 and day 3 but no shot!
Old 04-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Some of my most memorable hunts are ones that didn't end with a kill. I've been fortunate enought to get a Tom each of the 7 years I've hunted them here in WI, but some of my most memorable hunts are ones that were close encounters that didn't end in a kill. It feels great when you close the deal with a kill, but I just like getting out there and getting close to them at any time. In WI, we have a drawing to get a turkey permit. You usually end up getting selected for only one out of the 6 weeks. Then during the week you get, you only get to hunt Wed to Sunday.More recently you may get lucky and get a second tag. My season isn't until April 26-30, but I've got several hours in the woods just getting close to the birds. One of my favorite moments happened this year when my 7 year old son and I took a little walk and ended up calling in 6 Hens with a Tom. I've never heard Hens make so much noise and fight like that! My son was so excited and he talked about it for a week! How fast his heart was beating and how cool it was....Hunting is about making memories, not necessarily the kill. Of course like everyone else, I love to pull the trigger on a big gobbler!