Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wisconsin Hunters

Old 11-04-2002, 08:45 PM

Default Wisconsin Hunters

Hope all your bow hunting days are going well and everyone is gearing up for the Gun Deer Season starting the 23 of November. I would like to know how you guys see the rut for Gun Deer Season and whether we will catch the end of the rut, or will it be over already. Also, feel free to tell us how you view your herd of deer in the area and your thoughts on Chronic Wasting Disease and the ban on baiting. Thanks to all

Cabin Fevered Hunter

Mike, aka Picklz

Mike
Old 11-05-2002, 02:30 PM
Spike

Default RE: Wisconsin Hunters

I think the main part of the rut will be here later this week. We might catch the tail end of it for gun season, or the "second rut" for those does and fawn yearlings that weren't lucky enough to score during the first go around. This year I'm hunting opening weekend around Janesville, not to far from the CWD area. I still plan on eating the venison if I can get it processed. It looks like there are a lot of deer around this part of the state.

For midweek and second weekend heading "Up North" to Iron County for the first time hunting. I don't know what to expect there other than COLD, COLD, COLD WEATHER.

I don't have any problems with the ban on baiting. I've never baited for a hunt. I've mosly hunted public land only recently hunting private land (last 4 years). I think banning baiting will let the deer return to their natural survival instincts and allow a more sporting chance to those who don't have access to private hunting land.

Good luck and have a safe and successful hunt to all!
Old 11-05-2002, 06:41 PM

I too am geared up for the opener. I have had pretty good luck so far, 1 buck bowhunting and a doe T-zone, and I hope that it continues. It seems like there are more deer out there than ever before. The worst part about the CWD thing is that you can't really get your deer processed anywhere, At least here, near La Crosse. Unless you bone it out yourself and give them the meat. I have heard of some places that are processing deer as long as you take the carcass with you after they are done. I myself have just been cutting them up myself. What I have heard is that the biggest problem that the butchers have with it is that they can't get anyone to take the bones from the deer. Well good luck to everyone.

Old 11-05-2002, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in zone 1. Far northwest Wi. Bow season has been pretty good to me so far. I hunted the beginning part of the season in a 2 acre clover patch. I averaged 6 deer per night. A nice mix of does, forks and an eight. There was a larger deer around, but I never got a shot at him. The clover has since disappeared.

The last few nights I've been hunting our 6 acre field. I've seen a dandy of a buck two different times. But he hasn't come within range. The rut is just starting here. It's really exciting.

I'll be in Minnesota this weekend for opener to hunt with my Grandpa. Wish us luck!