Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
When to clean the Gun? Can't deer smell that? >

When to clean the Gun? Can't deer smell that?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When to clean the Gun? Can't deer smell that?

Old 11-05-2002, 12:19 PM

Default When to clean the Gun? Can't deer smell that?

I have often wondered when I clean my rifle with all of the cleaning solvents and oils to keep everything fee moving, can't a deer smell all that stuff I just cleaned my gun with the night before? What can I do to minimize the odor the cleaning and lubing agents give off? When is the best time and how often shold you clean your rifle? I only sight in right before the season, so I clean it a week before the opener, any suggestions?

Trouserchili
Old 11-05-2002, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: When to clean the Gun? Can't deer smell that?

I really don't touch the bore until after season, unless it is required. I shoot throughout spring right up to season and clean after each trip to the range, on my final sight in I will shot 1 5 shot group at 100 and leave it(no bore cleaning). During season I will only fire a few times at yotes and hopefully only once at my deer, hardly like a practice session. I know guys who only clean their bore once if lucky a season, so it really depends on the gun and the person holding it. I always wipe down the exterior of the gun and lube the action after a day in the field. I usually just use a silcone cloth and Drilube, which won't leave the grease like other do...so less smell. I am real particular about all my stuff though, so I would say I am on the extreme side.

Now after saying all this, I am really not sure they will smell your clean gun any quicker than they smell YOU! I would say just keep doing what you do, no need to barrel swap unless it is real wet or you dropped her in the mud. Wipe done the exterior and lube it, then let it sit until you are ready to go again.

Old 11-06-2002, 03:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: When to clean the Gun? Can't deer smell that?

I,m with Rack Buck i only clean up after the season than the oil and solvent has a long time to deodorize. I,m told with the modern powders there is very little acid to worry about. About the smell I hunt into the wind and don't worry about it but have had many deer come up the wind to my smell. I think most of thge smell stuff is TV sell you junk retotic. It may be true in the bavck woods where the deer has never smelt a person or gun but where I hunt the deer are use to people smells. wack trem Striper Phil