Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Wisconsin Hunters >

Wisconsin Hunters

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin Hunters

Old 09-26-2006, 02:54 AM

Default Wisconsin Hunters

Hello guys,
I'd like to get your thoughts on this story in the Journal-Sentinel this morning. I am a student at UWFV and will be using this as a homework assignment. Thank you very much for your thoughts.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=502840
Old 09-27-2006, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wisconsin Hunters

Seems like the lawmakers were more interested in protecting the interests of the commercial sector when the acted to keep feeding deer and same goes for the december hunt the curtailed so the bars and resorts in northern wisconsin could make more money.

If you want more opinions go to the bloodbro.com site and put this question in their forum. I am sure you will get lots of responses there..
Old 09-28-2006, 04:53 AM

Thank you, I was hoping for more responses here as this is the main "hangout" for me. I'll check it out thanks again.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

The article just restates the trend of the last twenty yearswhich started with Govenor(R) Tommy Thompsons long term administration.The WDNR's ability to protect WI's water and environmental quality has beenseverely reducedby budget cuts, personnel cuts, and wimpy legislation.

Couple years ago the 11 Republicans on the Joint Finance Committee tried to steal the dedicated license stamp funds from WI sportsman, and put it in the General fund. The 5 Democrates on the Committee were simply out voted 11-5 and powerless to stop it. After much public outcry, months later, theRepublicanson the Joint Finance Committeegave the money back, and took funds from a Hazardous Waste cleanup account.

It was Republican legislaters that attempted to eliminate December Deer hunting so Snowmobilers could have unrestricted trail access ... mostly at the request of the snomobiler lobby under the blanket of tourism promotion.

Thedesireof stateRepublicans to split the DNR to gain political control of the filling ofwetlands, shoreline development, and water quality issues .... should be of major concern to all Wisconsinhunters and fishermen. This isan openattemptto gainpolitical leverage with campain contributionsfrom wealthy developers.

The question is ... why do Wisconsin Republican law makers think they can get away with screwing the Wisconsin outdoor sportsman? The answer could rest with the old habit of sportsman blindly voting Republican over gun issue fears.

So while you (R) Legislature thanks you for your vote, and tells you your AK-47 is safe, he is letting some developer pave over the land you have been hunting on your whole life .... is it worth it?
Old 09-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Then there is/was the (R) opposition to appointing a outside lawerto head the DNR. But then Hassett is not your average lawer. He hand built his own wood strip row boat to pursue is passion of row trolling muskies. Not with suckers, but with artificial lures. The type of guy that would hand make his own boat to fish with, is the type of guy I want running the DNR protecting hunting and fishing interests .... not an appointed politician. JMHO

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=489532

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=487930