Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HUNTING ETHICS/LAW QUESTION

Old 01-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default HUNTING ETHICS/LAW QUESTION

THIS MAY BE AN UN-ETHICAL QUESTION, BUT I'M TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE LAW AND THE ETHICS OF HUNTING THE BEST I CAN. WHILE HUNTING MOOSE FROM A STANDON THE EDGE OF A SHALLOW SWAMP I REQUIRE A RIFFLE DUE TO THE DISTANCE OF THE RUNS. THERE IS ALSOGOOD DEER RUN RIGHT BENEATH THESTAND AS WELL. BOW SEASON FOR DEER IS ALSO SAME WEEK AS MOOSE RIFFLE. THE LEGAL QUESTION, CAN I LEGALLY HAVE A LOADED RIFFLE AND UN-CASED BOW ON THE STAND AT THE SAME TIME IN ONTARIO. THE ETHICAL SIDE IF YES.WOULD IT BE ETHICAL TO HUNT TWO DIFFERENT SPECIES. AS A SPORTSMAN THE MOOSE IF THE PRIMARY INTENTION OF THE HUNT. EXTRA VENISON WOULD ALSO BE NICE IF THE OPPORTUNITYIS PRESENTED. PLEASE BE NICE, JUST TRYING TO LEARN.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: HUNTING ETHICS/LAW QUESTION

I do not know Ontario law, so I cannot give you an answer to the legalities there. I do know that here in Texas, you CANNOT have a firearm while bow hunting!
As for the ethics of hunting two species at the same time, theres nothing wrong with that, if you are otherwise legal!
Old 01-02-2006, 03:11 AM

I agree with JagMagMan, in that there's nothing wrong with that. However, I doubt that it is legal. I think the Moose would be enough meat for you though
Old 01-02-2006, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

BOW SEASON FOR DEER IS ALSO SAME WEEK AS MOOSE RIFFLE. THE LEGAL QUESTION, CAN I LEGALLY HAVE A LOADED RIFFLE AND UN-CASED BOW ON THE STAND AT THE SAME TIME IN ONTARIO.
First thing is check with your wild life offeicer.
That person could answer it better than any one.

Good Luck

Old 01-02-2006, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

probably not legal, but sounds ethical........in south texas i duck hunt and dove hunt in the same place.......the seasons run together.........
but its illegal to have dove loads in your possession during duck season.....So we duck hunt early, dump all our steel, decoys, ducksin a truck and park it down the road then come back to dove hunt......pain in the a** but gotta stay legal.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

Yes you can hunt both but I would check with your moose hunting buddies. Where we moose hunt you can take a deer with your rifle,we seldom do . We are there to hunt moose and shooting a deer and dressing him out would screw up the spot for that day. I passed up a nice wolf that was only 25 yds away one year and don't regret it as 20 minutes later I tagged a nice 1.5 yr old bull.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Dominant Buck

You can't even have two different types of shotshells on your person here , you don't want to get caught with two different weapons ! Massive fine . I doubt that it would be legal there either , check with your game warden .

Is hunting two different species unethical ? Not according to generations of our ancestors who considered it a bonus . Move the stand closer to the moose runsand carrya weapon that's legal for both if possible.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:11 AM

I dont know the laws in Ontario but if both seasons are opened what would be the difference? Kill one with a bow and the other with a gun or kill them both with a gun.