Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help with an ethics question. >

Help with an ethics question.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help with an ethics question.

Old 11-21-2003, 12:54 PM

Default Help with an ethics question.

This is what happened on a recent trip I was on.

Myself and 2 others individually applied for non-resident Iowa tags. After 3 years of applying we finally drew out. We hunted the 1st week of November, the weather was tough in Northeast Iowa but the rut was awesome, bucks were chasing does everywhere, we were seeing more racked bucks and bigger bucks than we had ever seen before. I was lucky and harvested a nice 9 pointer on the morning of the third day. 1 of the guys in my group shot a deer the morning of the 4th day (we were staying 8 days) .. but was not happy at all with the shot. He said he hit a stick he didn' t notice and he hit real far back on the deer. He said the deer was " good sized" but not a HUGE monster. That was at 9:30 in the morning. Wanting to give the deer some time we waited till 3:30 to look for it. We didn' t have much blood at all and didn' t get on the right path till about 15 minutes before light started to give out .. about 200 yards from his stand. We decided to let the deer sit for the night and head back out in the morning .. or so I was led to believe. The next morning when the 3rd guy was getting dressed to head out, the guy who had shot the day before starts getting dressed as well. I asked him what he was doing and he told me he didn' t feel good about his shot and he was going hunting. I was floored and told him I didn' t think it was right. He informed me he hadn' t come all the way to Iowa to not hunt (we' re from Mass).. and he' d look during lunch he said. I asked him what happens if he sees a deer this morning? We are in Iowa, during the rut, on some awesome land .. the chances are better than almost anywhere in the US he' s going to have a deer walk by. He said he' d have no problem shooting then. I let him know I was completely disgusted, but it didn' t affect him enough to not go out.
Not feeling comfortable with myself to just go off and fish or pheasant hunt and leave a deer in the woods, I drive back to the farm where he shot the deer and start looking as soon as the lights go on. Well, 2 hours of searching every pile of crap for 1000 yards from the stand, I find it. The arrow is sticking right out of it' s ass. It looks as if he missed a 1/4 away shot WAY back and it' s 1/2 between the anus and the hip joint. The belly is bloated a bit, so I decided to gut it quickly to let it cool, which I do and then I leave to go find the guy and tell him his hunt is over. I drive the 3 miles to the farm he' s on, climb the ridge I know he' s on and start looking for him. I saw him before he sees me and I see him glassing something... not wanting a bad situation I rush to where he' s set up and tell him he' s all done. He didn' t appear happy at the news and never thanked me. In fact he didn' t even look happy till he saw his deer for the first time and said " Awesome! It' s way bigger than I thought" .

I' ve known and hunted with this guy for more than a few years .. and have watched a guy who used to LOVE the quality of the hunt over everything ... to a guy who loves the QUALITY of the animal over everything now. I stood there and watched him snap pictures with first his Hoyt pro-team stuff on, then change into his Scentblocker outfit to snap photos. He wasn' t wearing Scentblocker when he shot it, and I don' t think Hoyt shooters would be impressed if they knew he was at least 2 feet off with his shot at 25 yards.

I' m torn up about this and let him know what I thought, but while he appeared to care what I thought I have learned that isn' t the case at all. This guy has taught me a lot about archery and invited me along on some great hunts .. but the guy who did those things would NEVER have only looked for 2 hours for a deer before giving up. He wouldn' t have felt any pride at harvesting a deer like that. But then again he wasn' t a " Hoyt Pro-Team Shooter" then either, and he didn' t have or require sponsors to hunt when I started hunting with him either.

I guess I am using an anonymous board to vent about losing 1 of my better hunting buddies. I won' t hunt with a guy who isn' t phased by leaving a deer to rot after only looking 2 hours. Am I being " to sensitive" or idealistic? I wonder, hence my request to know how some of you feel about this story.

Please, share your thoughts.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help with an ethics question.

I wouldn' t hunt with the bum either. You did what you had to to make it right, even though it wasn' t your responsibility. Some people forget where they came from once they " make it" !
Old 11-21-2003, 01:05 PM

MA Jay,

Sorry to hear about losing a good buddy, but it sounds like it is his fault and his loss. If he cant enjoy the hunt for what it is and put forth the effort to look for a deer, he has lost touch with his roots it sounds like. I can only hope that he wakes up soon and realizes that sometimes work is involved in harvesting a deer, especially after a shot. I commend you for calling him out of his stand and voicing your opinion about the matter. Good luck, and with ethics like yours, im sure you will have no problem finding many new hunting buddies.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

I think your feelings are right on the money , I also believe if the deer would of
been smaller then he thought he would of had ahard time putting his take on it
if you werent their I dont think he would of, It just goes to show you what money
and sponsership can do to some people.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:10 PM

Did I read correctly? He was once an ethical, informative hunting buddy that is now sponsored by Hoyt. Now he pulls a crap stunt like that. Is that pretty much how it happened?

If so, I am sorry to hear you lost a good hunting buddy. I will never by a Hoyt bow now. Ok, not really, but he sounds like an ass.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

I am in the same boat. One of my buddies shot a buck opening morning of gun season, and spent all of 10 minutes looking for the deer. Next afternoon, we found the deer 200 yards away from his stand where it had died from a gut shot. Bowhunting is what I take my remaining vacation days for, and something like this is why I only gun hunt the first 1-1/2 days of the gun season. This guy would never had a chance with HIS CROSSBOW.
Hang in there and good luck with whatever happens.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:23 PM

I don' t know what it takes to be on the Hoyt Por-team but someone should call Hoyt and inform them of this losser. Also the farmer should be inormed about him so that it don' t happen again.

I' m just a hard liner on stuff like that.[:@]
Old 11-21-2003, 01:25 PM

Damn, I' ve spent 2 hours looking for a DOVE before. I shot the thing, I' m damn sure gonna find it and eat it!
Old 11-21-2003, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Recovering HIS deer - very admirable. You would be welcome on my property any time. As for your pal, what a joke. It' s a shame that a once responsible hunter turns into an idiot. But it' s not your fault. Nothing you can do at this point - you told him how you feel and rightly so, what he should have done. Let it go and find another hunting buddy.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Although I understand his desire to get the best buck he could while in the awesome buck state of Iowa, he made the decision to hit the release on this buck. Then, after a terribly botched shot, he rethinks his decision and goes back out to see if he can do better. His ethics are pretty screwed up and there could have even been legal issues here. I' m glad YOU made the effort to recover what probably would have been a wasted buck and that you were able to stop him before he hurt some other buck.

I think you should have a serious heart to heart talk with him and explain everything to him like you did here. If he isn' t going to change his ways, then you may be losing one hunting partner.

Quick Reply: Help with an ethics question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.