Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question on hunting ethics

Old 01-23-2006, 01:13 PM

Default Question on hunting ethics

Heres the deal in a short sweet version. I can't shoot does on my Brother-in-Laws land so I move to a wildlife mgmt area to hunt. I ask a guy at work about it, and if he would like to scout some with me. He said "if I'm in the woods now I'm hunting" I can understand that. He was cool enought to give me a couple of areas to check out. So, I check them out and dont like them so I drive around looking at the mapo and find me an area. After scouting it I set up and hunt it. Later on at work we are talking about were we hunt and we find out we hunt the same road. After talking we find out we are on the same road but differant areas of the road. So aftera month or so I finally get me an 11point out there. I come to work and tell him exactly were I killed it at, and the next weekend guess were they are hunting? Yep, one of them is hunting right on the other side of the creek from me and the other about a 150yds up from him. I didn't know this until I get out of the tree and talk to them about werre he killed his 8 point. The one guy at work said yea we were out here last night and scouted and left our stands here. At first I didnt even think about what they had done until someone told me that was wrong. So, do you think it was cool what they done, or wrong?

Can you belive one of them was here at work and saying I moved in on their space, lol. How could I do that when I never even knew they were hunting there?
Old 01-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Spike

Default RE: Question on hunting ethics

That kind of thing happens a lot more than you could imagine. People around here are extremely tight-lipped about where they hunt until they really get to know you and even then it may not happen. I have a few friends that I let know where I hunt and we do the "Honor System" kinda thing. I hunt one end of teh woods and my good friend hunts the other and often one of us will get bored and "push" over to where the other is - but then again we've been doing this for about 10 years and tehre's a treneandous amount of mutual respect.

These guys seem like opportunists or maybe it is just coincidence - can't tell clearly with just one side of the story.

I say, move on and get over it - both of you got nice deer and let it go.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:32 PM

I think thats crap. That is why lots of people keep their hunting area secret so idiots like that dont start taking over your area and taking all the game out of the area. But there is really nothing you can do now except maybe find a new spot or just put up with them hunting near you.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:37 PM

Its like this, if you find a good place to hunt, keep it to yourself. UNLESS you KNOW that you can trust the person.

I've seen this happen countless times and have had it happen to me. When this topic comes to mind, its more about your ability to judge a person.

Espically on public land. I've seen people go behind other guy's backs and call the company or land owner they lease from and offer them more money and lease it from under them. And many of them were supposed to be "friends".

Since ducks don't really care to migrate to SC, a good duck hole around here is like finding a golden egg in the hen house. You try to hide it, don't tell anyone about it, and only take those people that you KNOW you can trust to it.

Personally, If i were in your situation and the guy KNEW w/o a doubt where you were hunting and still came that close to you. I would be very pissed. But since it is public land, theres nothing you can do about it. DOn't be consered about losing a friend, b/c in my book, a real friend wouldn't do that. A real friend would be hunting 150 yards from me b/c we are trying to tag team. Not b/c he is stabbing me in the back.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: eemer

These guys seem like opportunists or maybe it is just coincidence - can't tell clearly with just one side of the story.

I say, move on and get over it - both of you got nice deer and let it go.
I completely understand only hearing one side. I promise you this I'd take a lie detector test and if it showeed I was lying I'd give you my earnings for a whole year

I was going to let it go until one of them came over here and made it like I moved in on them. I'm not that type of person.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ditto of struttin bps
Old 01-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dont ever tell
Old 01-23-2006, 04:03 PM

ORIGINAL: StrutnBPS

Personally, If i were in your situation and the guy KNEW w/o a doubt where you were hunting and still came that close to you. I would be very pissed. But since it is public land, theres nothing you can do about it. DOn't be consered about losing a friend, b/c in my book, a real friend wouldn't do that. A real friend would be hunting 150 yards from me b/c we are trying to tag team. Not b/c he is stabbing me in the back.
I agree with you. I though he was better then that. The sad thing is I'm sure they really think what they did was ok. Hopefully, someone will do the same thing to them.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:18 PM

If your smart this should be the only time it happens to you. I made that mistake once and will never make it again. It's sad that we cant go to work and brag up or honey holes but thats just the way it is. And when I do make a kill I try to down play it like it was a total shock that a deer was even around. Unless we own the land this is just what we have to do.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

AL the good Doctor is not being hard on you BUT you have just learned a very tuff lesson .... was it unethical no not really in my opinion ..was it cold blooded and inconsiderate yep very much so ..but it was public land so no one has reservations ...but maybe next time you will not talk to much about your hunting area ...there was an old saying back in the big WWII .." loose lips sinks ships" ..from now on you'll know to keep those special hunting and fishing holes to yourself ... I learned that the hard way years ago taking my best buddy to my honey hole for bream fishing ..we caught a ton ...the next week I floated int omy hole and there he was with a buddy of HIS .... needless to sayI do not share that information anymore ...by the way CONGRATS on your 11 point !

dd

Quick Reply: Question on hunting ethics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.