Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Ethics Question...

Old 11-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting Ethics Question...

After hunting the day before yesterday, I ventured into a local pub/pizza joint to pick up a pizza to take home and have a beer in the meantime. During my stay, a couple of guys started talking to me. Not having a chance or desire to change clothes, they obviously knew I had hunted that day, so the topic of the converstation was easily established.

In the course of the conversation, I learned that these two guys were hunting together on a farm owned by another friend of theirs. This "third" friend didn't have time to hunt since he was busy with the farm, but bought a tag, gave it to these two guys, and asked them to harvest a deer for him. They accepted and had since been able to harvest a deer for their friend. During the course of the conversation, I didn't make my opinion known, but walking away, I couldn't help but feel what they did was wrong. I say "wrong" from the mere fact that what they did violates the established rules of hunting in my area.

After getting home and thinking about it more, I became confused as to whether what they did was really that wrong (with the exception of being illegal). The deer was tagged, registered and recorded. The only thing was the person that registered it didn't kill it.

At this point, this issue has really started to bother me and question my position. I believe I have come to a conclusion on this, but would be interested in any other opinions.

So, in an extremely longwinded manner, what is your opinion of harvesting a deer for another person.

Cheers
Old 11-02-2005, 06:23 PM

Default RE: Hunting Ethics Question...

Im assuming that the men who harvested a deer for their friend were simply doing it because their friend wanted the meat but didn't have time to hunt. So IMO i dont see a problem with it.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:25 PM

Like you said, illegal, yes. Morally wrong? I sort of feel the same way you do. I know many that do this. Technically the reason they sell the tags are to get money and manage the deer. The tag was paid for, and the deer was killed in a legal fashion. The results were the same and thier goal was accomplished. Just not in the way it was intended.

I have done it and so has my hunting buddy. Someone that cannot hunt because of age or something else will get the tag, even a doe tag, we will kill it gut it and give it them. I don't feel guilty about helping someone out. Not much different than me killing a deer and giving to someone, which I have done as well. I probably do it this year.

I know guys that have thier wives or girlfriend by tags and they use them as well. I am sort of on the post on that one. I don't know what would happen if you got busted either.

Paul
Old 11-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is no question about the legality of this practise.Morally it is a hard thing to judge.If more than one person are present I really have no issue with who kills or tags the animal.I am not however in favor of someone shooting an animal and then using a tag belonging to someone that is not present.What I really have no use for is someone using a wifes or relatives name to put in for a specialdraw (when that wife or relative has no intention of hunting) so that he can use their tag if drawn.By doing so they are depriving a real hunter the chance to draw that special tag.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:44 PM

It sure is a hard one to judge morally. I can see the problems it can have with leagallity and but morally it was paid for and killed ethicaly.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mustad, you say how it bothered you and kept bothering you and there's a reason for it. It was wrong. Game wardens and judges love explaining why it was wrong. But they just give you the legal mumbo jumbo. It bothered YOU cause YOU knew it was wrong.

I can't help but think that the two bar buddies are a couple of real screwballs. Why couldn't they have helped their "friend" with the farm work and let him go hunt and maybe fill his own tag. He is their "friend" right? Isn't this the kind of things you do for "friends"?

Of course doing this would take away valuable bar time. (You gotta have priorities, right?)

I'd just let it be, given the second/third party info, not much chance of law action I would think. What goes around comes around.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is one of those things that bothers me as well. The animal was not taken legally, as the guys who's tag was on it wasn't even present at any point...except the drop off. I can understand wanting to help a friend out but like Matt says their are other options.

To me it is legally andethically wrong. Guys like this arereallyout for the kill!! Which is sad seeing as they are missing a lot in this great sport. I spend far more nights coming home without a shot fired than vice versa. Hunting to me is much more than a kill and I guess I have moved past where harvesting is the focal point of my hunts.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Legal and ethics sometimes bump heads. To give meat to some one who needs it is OK. But if they broke the law it was wrong. Some states allow tag swaps.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm nota big fan of it. If you're in a state where it is illegal to have 3rd party tags than I think it's wrong. If you're issued a tag it's up to YOU to fill it and not one of your buddies. If the guy wanted meat that bad, he'd find time to get in the woods. If he really couldn't find time than the 2 buddies that are allowed to hunt the farm while the other guy is working his butt off should each give him some meat.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:57 AM
Typical Buck

In my home state of Missouri, it's perfectly legal for me to buy a bonus anterless only tag for a friend, and then have that friend to harvest a deer because I want one. The tag will be in my friend's name, but i would pay for it and he could fill it. Could this be what they mean when they say they filled a buddy's tag?

I personally see nothing wrong with it.

GH

Quick Reply: Hunting Ethics Question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.