Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

good binocs

Old 12-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default good binocs

i need some help...mom and dad asked what i wanted for xmas....and i thought...truck stuff nah...computer stuff..nah....moms giving me her digital camera so i dont need that anymore...hmmm what have i been wanting...BINOCULARS!! i love hunting with a flintlock..but its open sights and i have to put 4pts 1 inch long on a buck before shooting...and have to make sure it DOESNT have antlers over 3 inches to fill an antlerless tag...i hunt rather close though....like 10-50yds normal shots.....but hate those little dinky binocs you cant see jack through....but really want something i can see out of nicely...but arent HUGE....and i can easiyl get on the deer and check its head....something reliable that wont be ruined by rain or snow....but i can only spend 100-200 or so...but i really think thats what i want....i just cant find a pair that i think will work...right now i use some old clunker...they are huge and crappy....i dont know what a good magnification and objective is for binocs....or brand and model......any help???? i wish they made them in like...4-12x40! i cant find anything that has a lower power but a higher power as well...found like 8-20 and stragiht 4x 5x and 6x...along with 8x and 10x...just dont know what would be good at my normal range...stupid antler restrictions!!! what do you guys think?? thanks guys
Old 12-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: good binocs

I just picked up a set of Busnells that are compact. I wanted something small to fit in with my gear. they were 4 x 10 I believe, I can get more specific if you want when I get home from work. anyway, their waterproof. Was really impressed with the clearity at 100 yds. they're not much good after that, good in low light also. picked them up at Cabela's for $49.95. Trouble with optics is that you cant get both worlds. compact, and great vision. the more coatings, the more bucks. They have alot to choose from at cabela's, and bass pro. Get a catalog or 2 and look thru it. good luck
Old 12-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

i saw those...i just dont think seeing goodat close range will be easy...trying to find a deer in the woods quickly and easyily...i think a bigger objective would make it easier.....also think id need more magnification to count points that need to be an inch long.....im thinking something like...8x40??? i looked at cabelas for a minute but got sidetracked....ill go back to looking now........thanx for the reply......i really dont think that i could get on a deer quick and easily with a 10mm lens....and count points that need to be an inch long with just 4 power....i wish i could find like a 4-12...best of everything! but i cant find anything like that...wonder why they cant make them like rifle scopes?? i should rig up an eyepiece for a rifle scope lol
Old 12-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

why not invest in a good scope for glassing! I have a friend and that's all he carries. It's small and fits in his pack the way he wants it, and can turn up and down the mag. to suit whatever he's looking at.IMO it's just as good as a set of bino's.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:24 PM

Mauser06: binocs are like rifle scopes (and spotting scopes, etc.). The more you pay the more you get in terms of: sharpness, clarity, brightness, overall quality and warranty support. You can easily spend $1,500 or more for good quality binoculars. That said, within each price point there are variations of quality. What I'd suggest is to go to a store that sells a few types of binoculars from very cheap to very expensive. Try the cheap ones compared to the expensive ones - just to get a feel of the difference. Then pick what you think will be a reasonable price point for this gift. Try to find a few different examples in that price range and just handle them and look through them. Believe me the way they feel and operate is important, and you will find some you just like better than the others.

Another thing, look for sales - you can often find deep discounts on this stuf

For deer hunting in woods an 8 power is the way to go. In fact, for almost all hunting. 10 power are also very popular but are noticably more difficult to hold steady. I don't recommend a spotting scope because it generally needs a tripod and also has a much narrower field of vision than binoculars.

I had a pair of $30compacts for years. Then I hunted for years with some modest compact Minolta (in the $100 - 150 range). They made me ralize that thecheap onesreally weren't worth while at all. They really did serve me well I have no complaints except I dropped them a few too many times and kind of messed them up. Oh well, best to make those mistakes with cheaper ones.

A few years ago my wife bought me some nice Zeiss in a semi compact size. Not the most expensive Zeiss, maybe $400-$500 or so. They are very, very nice and are definitely better than the old Minoltas and I do enjoy using them. But like I said, the Minoltas worked fine for me for many years.

My friend has some of the expensive Zeiss - let's say $1200+. Yes they are indeed very, very nice. I will even say that they are clearer and brighter than mine. I won't say that they are better for the type of hunting I do - I just don't need that to see antlers and count them. If I was a serious Birder, it would be a differnt story.

Good luck, haev fun.