HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - good binocs
Thread: good binocs
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 08:24 PM
zekeskar

Default RE: good binocs

Mauser06: binocs are like rifle scopes (and spotting scopes, etc.). The more you pay the more you get in terms of: sharpness, clarity, brightness, overall quality and warranty support. You can easily spend $1,500 or more for good quality binoculars. That said, within each price point there are variations of quality. What I'd suggest is to go to a store that sells a few types of binoculars from very cheap to very expensive. Try the cheap ones compared to the expensive ones - just to get a feel of the difference. Then pick what you think will be a reasonable price point for this gift. Try to find a few different examples in that price range and just handle them and look through them. Believe me the way they feel and operate is important, and you will find some you just like better than the others.

Another thing, look for sales - you can often find deep discounts on this stuf

For deer hunting in woods an 8 power is the way to go. In fact, for almost all hunting. 10 power are also very popular but are noticably more difficult to hold steady. I don't recommend a spotting scope because it generally needs a tripod and also has a much narrower field of vision than binoculars.

I had a pair of $30compacts for years. Then I hunted for years with some modest compact Minolta (in the $100 - 150 range). They made me ralize that thecheap onesreally weren't worth while at all. They really did serve me well I have no complaints except I dropped them a few too many times and kind of messed them up. Oh well, best to make those mistakes with cheaper ones.

A few years ago my wife bought me some nice Zeiss in a semi compact size. Not the most expensive Zeiss, maybe $400-$500 or so. They are very, very nice and are definitely better than the old Minoltas and I do enjoy using them. But like I said, the Minoltas worked fine for me for many years.

My friend has some of the expensive Zeiss - let's say $1200+. Yes they are indeed very, very nice. I will even say that they are clearer and brighter than mine. I won't say that they are better for the type of hunting I do - I just don't need that to see antlers and count them. If I was a serious Birder, it would be a differnt story.

Good luck, haev fun.