Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Binocs?

Old 12-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default Binocs?

I am searching for a pair of high quality pair of glasses. I have done some research and am still confused. I heard that Kahles and Swarvoski's are basically the same company just different name and are very good quality. I have heard that Leica is as good as it gets andthat you can't beatthe Gold Ring Leupold's for the price. Then today, I came across a pair on the cabelas website that caught my attention. It has a video along with it and it made me wonder about this pair of glasses. Here is the site of the Cabelas binocs http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/product_features/photos/pages/pf_eurobinoculars_int.html
I am leaning towards the swarvoski's but am still torn between them all. I would just like a little input from you guys and wandering if anyone has had any experience with the Cabelas pair of binocs. Thanks

Old 12-01-2005, 08:19 PM

Default RE: Binocs?

Man, if you've got the money for them, i dont think you could go wrong. As for me, i bought a pair of Wind River 10X32 for just under 300 dollars and couldnt be happier with them. Just something to think about.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Dominant Buck

I've gone through a few pairs of binos in the past 50 years. About6 years ago I said I was buying my LAST pair.It took me nearly 2 years of researching and looking and testing and retesting in all light but I bought my last pair, a pair of 7 x 42 Swarovskis. You'll never regret buying as long as you don't buy a set of compact.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

After tons of research -- for my price range -- I ended up with a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB's. Review after review that I read said these were the best glasses you could buy short of the $1,000+ ones...

I also looked through some Wind Rivers; they look very nice too.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:47 PM

I've got a pair of Simmons that I got back in '89...they work really well. FOV at 1000 yds is 288 ft...I've been longing to get a new, more powerful set, but I don't have the funds to throw 1k at a binos...and I want to do it like was said before...buy my LAST pair.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Glass is about the only thing in life where you do see a difference as the cost rises. I assumed he was saying money was no object up to a point. All the top brands are pretty much equal, Swarovski, Leica etc. I guess the best advice would be to pick the best you can afford and add a couple hundred dollars.[8D][8D][8D][8D] I'm going to leave mine to someone in my will. OK, everybody start sucking up.[8D][8D]
Old 12-02-2005, 06:38 AM

ORIGINAL: MQ1shooter

After tons of research -- for my price range -- I ended up with a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB's. Review after review that I read said these were the best glasses you could buy short of the $1,000+ ones...

I also looked through some Wind Rivers; they look very nice too.
I just bought a pair of Monarch 10x42's because I came to the same conclusion as you. They are indeedvery nice.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

like someone said, you get what you pay for with binocs.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

If price is no object, go with Swarovskis or Leica. They are pretty much the cream of the crop as far as Bino's go.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I owned a pair of the 10x42 Cabelas Alaskan Guide series binocs and have looked through their new Eurobins. Both are excellent bins. The Guides offer excellent optical quality at the $500 price point. Resolution, flatness of field, contrast, etc... were excellent. Don't quote me but I believe they are made by Fujinon. The Cabelas Euro binocs are equally impressive and pretty close to being on par with the upper end Zeiss, Leica and Swaro. When you get to this optical quality level you start paying more for the little things...slightly better contrast, truer color representation, a slightly wider field of view, a flatter overall field, etc.... I believe the Cabelas Euro bins are made by Meopta, a well regarded European binocular manufacturer. Cabelas also has the Meopta Meostar models for sale as well.

If you would like two great sites to visit to get the ins and outs of just about every high end bin out there then check out www.birdforum.net and www.opticstalk.com . Both have very good binocular sections with some real gurus on the various models. I do not think you really can go wrong with any of the high end glass. The optical quality is not usually what allows folks to distinguish from one high end model to the next. It usually has more to do with the ergonomics, warranty, price, etc.....

I have a pair of the Nikon High Grade Venturer LXs that I picked up for a steal at the local Cabelas. Definitely high quality glass but the price was a bit more manageable compared to some of the other high end models on the market today.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Binocs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.