Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Need new Binocs! >

Need new Binocs!

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Need new Binocs!

Old 06-30-2009, 03:12 PM

Default Need new Binocs!

In the market for new binocs. I dropped my $80 Nikons and now I'm seeing double!
Don't think sending them in for replacement is an option . . . So now I'm shopping for new.
I wear glasses so long eyerelief is a must. (And not always available)
I'm not sure as to roof prism or porro? I can go either way depending on available features.
I like at least a 10 power. Objective lens diameter is less significant. I've lived with 25 before.
But I like light gathering at low light conditions. One of the reasons I went with Nikon.
But I'm not sure I like their warrantee.
I'm willing to spend $200 - $300 so a lot of brands and models are out of the question right away.

So whaddaya think? Is there a quality product out there that costs less than several house payments?
Am I missing something?
Old 07-01-2009, 03:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need new Binocs!

Leupold Acadia come in a 10 x 42 run around $220 - 240 depending on whether you get them in black or camo.
Leupold Cascade 10 x 42 on sale for $199.99
Cabela's Alpha Extreme 10 x 42 also run in the 220 - 240 range (black or camo)

Just a few suggestions, all of these are at Cabela's

Don
Old 07-01-2009, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default old

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-21-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

I visited Cabelas last week and was very impressed by the Leupold Mojave's in 10x42. They were every bit as clear as the Golden Rings but were less than half the price and much lighter. I believe they were around $350. Perhaps a little more than you want to pay, but I think worth the extra money.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 AM

Thanks all........
Yeah, I'm not stuck at that price range, I just don't like to spend more. I'm in the field a lot and am very hard on optics.
I do think you get what you pay for, but also believe that at some point you are stroking your ego with the name on your gear more than actually getting what you pay for.
I just know I can get satisfactory optics for around $300.00.
Like I said, my last ones were $80.00!!!
Let's face it, all optics are based on quality of blass/prisms, and anything under $500.00 probably has oriental glass in it. So maybe there's a "bright star" out there in the biunolular universe that I am overlooking.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:27 AM

Also, what about the roof prism vs. porro designs?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Game4lunch,

You are correct. You are not going to get European glass in this price range. Still, Japanese and now Chinese optics have come a long way in recent years. Though my personal preference tends to be a bit of an opposite to yours (I prefer 8x to 10x and really won't use anything less than 32 mm) I think I can offer some additional advice to what has been posted above.

You are correct. $300 these days gets you alot of optical "punch". I could probably recite a dozen binoculars worthy of consideration up to this price point. However, I would strongly urge you to stretch your budget an additional $50 to $60. At this price point you will find some truly spectacular binoculars. In the last year there have been several manufacturers that have picked up on a new optical design to hit the market from one of the bigger Chinese optical suppliers. What I am referring to is the "open-hinge (think Swaro EL)/ED glass" binocular. There are now four incarnations on the market...the Promaster Infinity Elite ELX ED, the Hawke Frontier ED, the Zen Ray Zen ED and now the Atlas Optics Intrepid ED (an Eagle Optics company). I have owned/used all four and I can honestly say that they are a significant step up from anything less than $1500. Yes, you read that correctly...$1500. Don't believe me? Do a google search for Zen Ray Zen ED and see what types of comments folks (including myself) have been making about these binoculars. They are simply fantastic optical instruments that are selling for 1/5th of the level the perform at.

Now, having said that, and with the understanding that $300 is your absolute maximum, I would suggest you consider the new Bushnell Legend Ultra HD. It utilizes the same type of extra low dispersion glass found in the models I mentioned above in a more compact package. ED glass provides a sharper, more contrasty image...not to mention better low light performance. I just received my 8x42s and have been using them quite a bit over the last week. I have yet to be disappointed in their optical performance, handling or size. The 10x42 model received a very favorable review over on 24hourcampfire at the beginning of last month.

Lastly, the above mentioned Leupold Cascade porro (internal focus porro) is another excellent option. The internal focus design makes them just as rugged as roof prism models plus these porros have a brighter and sharper image than any of the previous $300 roofs (original Bushnell Legend, Nikon Monarch, Pentax WP, etc...) Cabelas has the 10x42 for about $200 when they had been selling for $300. You can also find several units on Ebay from reputable sellers for between $130 and $150 right now.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:55 AM

Thanks all . . . I've decided to go with the Leupold Cascade's in 10X42's.
(Good price at Wallly World.) Great warrantee.16mm eye relief. 4mm exit pupil . . . great specs!
At around $270 I'm already jumping way up in price/quality from what I've had. I just hope the extra moola is worth it in the field.
As far as going with 10 vs. 8 power, out here in the west we shoot farther than you guys can even see back in PA. (Prarie vs. hardwood forrests.)
10 power binocs are pretty common. And a lot of guys pack along their spotting scopes as well.