Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Probably the worst gun season ever... >

Probably the worst gun season ever...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Probably the worst gun season ever...

Old 12-01-2005, 09:55 AM

Default RE: Probably the worst gun season ever...

We have had a great season so far in Western New York. I got a spike and a doe opening day. My dad took a doe, and my buddy also took6 point and a doe. Just last week I missed a six point and my other friend took a 5 point and a doe. I really haven't seen many other hunters out, but I'm sure not gonna complain about that! The deer are there you just have to figure out there patterns and daily activites, like what TJ said, try and find where their staging areas are. You can't always rely on hunter to push deer to you. Sorry for the bad luck tho, hope the second half of the season turns out better for you.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: avid_bowhunter2005

...I haven't seen but maybe 10 deer total since monday, and I only got shots off at 2 of them..
Oh and to make it better, one was a nice 8 I hit hard, but he barrelled into a thicket of cedars, and well... I don't have him.... just saddens me that we only have 1 wk, and it's just not turning out all that good....
If I saw 10 deer in 3 days, shot at two and hit an 8 pointer hard, I would think I died and went to heaven. Something ain't right here.

All I see is a person (I didn't say hunter) that wants everything to go his way and complains when they don't. I may be out of line here but where is the work needed to be successful. This thing we call deerhunting takes in soooo much and all I see here is someone that wants other hunters to push the deer to him.

I know so many hunters here in New England that hunt/work hard for their deer and at times, they cango a week without seeing a deer. Yet, they are hunters thru ad thru. They were brought up to respect the sport and the anumal we hunt. There is no evidence of that here.

Hopefully I am wrong. Only two last thoughts:
Quitchabitchin' and hunt hard for your deer and please tell us you exhausted every ounce of energy looking for that 8 pointer.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:32 PM

That is my definition of a great season (with the exception of wounding a buck). All I ever ask for each year is to see deer and just have ONE opportunity at a buck. Hell, if the deer ran too me and fell over then I might have to take up UNO as a profession! Hanging with the boys and seeing deer is the first criteria for a great season. And like I said the only thing that could top that off is the opportunity for a buck!
Old 12-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, he does come off as a bit "spoiled". There will be dry years - just roll with it. But YOU just have to work harder if YOU won't easily accept a dry season. YOU hit the aerial photos. YOU find the funnels. YOU identify the food sources. YOU find the bedding, etc. YOU scout smartly a bit further. Maybe YOU get out of the stand and keep the binocs to your eyes, watching distant movements so YOU can place a better stand. YOU do it.

The last thing I want to base my hunt on is ANY OTHERS. I can control myself (barely) - but I cannot control others. When I gotta put my chips down - I bet on myself.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

Doesn't sound to bad to me. And don't any of ya complain about hot weather,(the high this weekend is 84!)take it from a tx hunter.LOL . Sorry about losing the buck, that bites.[:@]Better luck next time!
Old 12-02-2005, 09:47 AM

You ain't alone. I've been out gunning here in NJ for 7 days thus far in November and I usually get anywhere from 1-6 does during that partial season. This year? Saw 1 spike which was a non-shooter and 2 does way too far away. I was bummin' bigtime. However, statewide buck season opens Monday and I am hoping my persistence pays off. Otherwise, I need to be thankful of the deer I got in the freezer from bow season.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the hot weather has made a big difference here in Va. I two only saw a total of four deer in two weeks of muzzle season. Will go out on sat with slug gun and have a go. Will go up to mountains in a week or so and hope my luck gets better.