Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
my worst season ever >

my worst season ever

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

my worst season ever

Old 10-13-2002, 11:14 AM

Default my worst season ever

well just like the subject says...this season sucks! i've never had such a horrible season so far. i've been out 7 or 8 times and only have seen 2 deer while sitting on stand. usually by now my freezer is full. i am only hunting state land in zones 7 and 8. i know it's been hot out, but still.

has anyone else been having a bad time like me?
Old 10-13-2002, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: my worst season ever

I'm not setting the world on fire either. I've seen deer, but not the right situation yet. However, I'd rather have a bad hunting season than a good year of work anytime...LOL

Patience...It'll get better.

Old 10-13-2002, 01:42 PM

I'm not doing too well down in the southern part of the state either. Our deer densities are way down, and areas that used to have decent hunting are now barren. My brother and I walked a piece we have hunted for 20 years yesterday and found absolutely NO deer sign. It used to have good hunting, but no deer are there now. We spent 6 hours walking about 250 acres, and found no tracks, no droppings, no rubs, no scrapes and the old runs were abandoned. They showed no use at all. The area is all wooded, and surrounded by fields. It gets hunted heavily, and I'm guessing the long seasons and unlimited tags have finally taken their toll.

Just 4 years ago I had 8 to 10 deer in my back field every day. I saw one deer last year, and have not seen one there this year. I even planted an acre of the Whitetail Imperial Alpha Rack, but not a track in the plot. It's a sad situation, but seems like what the Division of F & W want; no more deer.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I HAVE TO AGREE THAT SO FAR THIS SEASON SUCKS!! I HUNT ZONE 4, WHICH IS AND WAS THE MOST LIMITED DEER ZONE IN NJ. AT ONE TIME I WOULD SEE ON AVERGE 23 PLUS DEER PER DAY, LAST YEAR I SAW AVERGE 3 DEER PER DAY. SO FAR THIS SEASON I SAW NO DEER, NO RUBS, NO SCRAPES, NO DROPPINGS. I REALLY THINK THAT THE NJ FISH & WILDLIFE HAVE SUCCESSFULLY FULLFILLED THERE DESIRE IN LOWERING THE HERD THRU OUT THE STATE. I PROPOSE THAT THEY GO BACK TO THE WAY THINGS WERE, NO MORE UNLIMITED DEER, NO MORE UNLIMTED TAGS OVER THE COUNTER, IT SHOULD BE THRU MAIL LOTTERY. BUT IM JUST 1 PERSON, WE AS HUNTERS, AND TAXES PAYERS HAVE TO UNITE AND FORCE OUR CONCERN TO FISH & GAME, AND AS HUNTERS, STOP SHOOTING ANTERLESS DEER, LET THEM LIVE TILL WE OR FISH & GAME ALLOWS THE HERD TO GROW BACK TO THE NUMBERS WE HAD. I AGREE IN TAKEN ANTERLESS DEER, IF THE HERD WAS LARGE. ITS THE PRIVATE LAND OWNER ($$$$ rich $$$$) WHO CRY AND COMPLAIN THAT THE DEER ARE EATING THERE LANDSCAPE, THEN THEY TURN MOST OF US DOWN WHEN WE ASK TO HUNT THERE LAND, OR THEY WILL SAY YES ONLY WITH A HIGH $$$$$$ SIGN. WELL, LET THEM SHELL OUT MORE $$$$$ TO REPLACE THERE LANDSCAPE. TIME FOR THE HUNTERS TO TAKE A STAND AND STOP BEING GREEDY TOWARDS EACH OTHER. GOOD LUCK TO EACH OF YOU!!!
Old 10-13-2002, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

..AS for me,could have taken some small deer,but passed
looking for some with some meat,not horns.....cheer up.

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...
Old 10-13-2002, 05:39 PM

hunt another spot!!! find a tract with a huge swamp and hunt that..u will score
Old 10-14-2002, 09:22 AM

I am impressed with those of you from NJ that are men/women enough to open your mouth about what has really taken place in your state to the overall deer herd. While some may call this deer management and growing larger bucks by lowering overall deer numbers. Thru umlimited tags,increased hunter takes,etc.. It would seem apparent that this method of "management" has had a devistating effect after a few years.
I only wish some of Pa's "pro antler management" hunters could have the forthsight to see just what has happened in NJ. And will happen here in Pa in just a few short years. Of "lowering deer numbers" in the name of management. Sadly the "I want horns at all costs" crowd has allowed our deer management team to sell them on the idea that Pa will become a big buck state,ie. Kansas. and can't see where this will lead us to in a few years.
Those of us with leases or private hunting land have the right to do as we see fit. But the poor guys that hunt state land...well I really feel sorry for those that are getting the shaft by the others that want big antlers.BT