Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

alaska?

Old 01-27-2004, 01:52 PM

Default alaska?

does anybody on here live in or every hunted alaska i want to go there next year and im just trying to get a idea about what it is going to cost for a good hunt and and when the best time would be?
Old 01-28-2004, 10:29 AM

Default RE: alaska?

Nitro,

I moved out about a year and a half ago, but I know a little bit. There are a few others on here that could probably help out much more than me.

However, first, what do you want to hunt? big difference between a caribou drop in hunt and a dall sheep hunt. So, let me know that first.

beej
Old 01-29-2004, 11:42 AM

really what ever is cheaper because it really dont matter i just want go and hunt something
Old 01-29-2004, 03:23 PM

well, there are so many types of hunts.
first I would determine if you want to go and hunt mountains, tundra, the islands, etc...

you have caribou on the tundra that can be done for a reasonable amount of money. You can do a float trip or a drop hunt where the guide checks on you once or twice during the hunt.

A dall sheep, griz/brown bear, or mtn goat hunt will be very expensive. 8-12 thousand dollars.

they also have black tail deer hunts that you can do in quite a bit of luxury off of these big yachts adn then you go out in a skiff in teh morning to the land, hunt all day adn come back to a shower, warm bed, adn gourmet food. never done it. probably be nice, but still a bit pricey. I thin they run 4-6K. I would look all of these up on the internet and you can get a feel for what teh avg. prices are.

I had a blast doing my black bear hunt. we went out into Prince William Sound and hunted out of the boat. you spot a bear and then jump onto land and put on a stalk. the nice thing is if you have a decent sized boat, you can bring frozen food instead of freeze dried food and live in lots of comfort. I have no idea what this would cost with an outfitter. I went with a buddy who had the boat.

you can also go moose hunting. you can do a drop hunt, float hunt, or guided. the price varies on this with what type you do. a drop hunt is probably the cheapest. I think they usuall go for 6-8 K. Again, Check on the internet with the prices cause I may be off.

ABM of some of the other guys from AK can probably give you a better idea. I know lilhunter is doing a bit of guiding, so he can probalby give you a great idea on some.

don't forget though that you have to fly up to AK (best scenario from AR, 450 bucks) then get to the town that your outfitter is in (who knows--depends on the game you are after) adn buy the hunting license and tag. 85 bucks for the license and the tag price differes depending on which game, but I think a moose is 450 bucks. (again, check the page of AK dept. of fish and game).

hope this helps. I am sure I missed something, but again, maybe one of the other guys (non-gender specific for the ladies) can help.

beej
Old 01-29-2004, 05:12 PM

Nitro,

Also if you go after Moose you have to call the AK Dept. Fish & Wildlife & they will send you a 2 videos that you have to watch & sign a piece of paper saying you did. The two videos are 1) Is this moose legal & 2) How to take care of big game animals................something along those lines. Some units you can remove all the meat from the bones, some you have to leave it attached to the bone until you have it out of the field. Everywhere in AK you must remove all the meat including the rib meat before taking out the rack ................you can't waste nothing...............MAJOR FINES! I also recommend getting a video on how to field judge Caribou if you go after them, don't make a 1st timer mistake of shooting one that isn't as big as you think..........a lot of people do. When you look at a herd of say 2-300 animals it can get out of control! LOL
Some big game in AK you have to have a guide or a close relative that lives in AK to guide you on a hunt like Brown bears & a couple of others.
I'm going up in Sept on a Moose/Caribou hunt in unit 17. You can also talk & chat with other hunters that have gone before & find out what not to do...............common mistakes people make. You're going to spend a good bit of change to go so make sure you have the best time while you're there!!

I will share more info & pics when I get them like I said in the email I sent the other day.