Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Artificial Corn, Need some Opinions >

Artificial Corn, Need some Opinions

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Artificial Corn, Need some Opinions

Old 04-23-2008, 10:00 PM

Default RE: Artificial Corn, Need some Opinions

ORIGINAL: gonehuntin08

I've had the pleasure of using the real illusion corn kernels for about five years now, and the stuff works great. I'm more of a duck hunter myself, and the corn kernels float on the water so the birds can see it from a distance. It's just another great trick to have up your sleeve.
I try for a natural spread of dekes when I go out. I dont see much corn floating around in these parts...[:-]
Old 04-24-2008, 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: gonehuntin08

I've had the pleasure of using the real illusion corn kernels for about five years now, and the stuff works great. I'm more of a duck hunter myself, and the corn kernels float on the water so the birds can see it from a distance. It's just another great trick to have up your sleeve.
That is the most retarted thing I have ever heard, if you are telling the truth you must look like a complete jackass sitting out there with fake corn in your spread. No duck eats corn off the water.
How do you keep it from floating off, put a weight on it? Does real corn even float? TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY RETARTED !!!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntinglife

I am curious to know when you state that it is highly un-ethical why you would feel that way. Most waterfowlers use decoys and calls to attract birds into their spreads, how would using artificial product resembling food be any different? I understand as well every hunter is going to have to make the decision for themselves whether to use any product in the hunting market today. Some hunters love the ROBO-Geese and ROBO-Ducks and others think they should be banned and in some states they are banned.

As far as the product being illegal, I have taken the time to check the regulations. I happen to know that it is being used in several states already with incredible success in places like Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia. By all means every hunter should check the regulations in their state but I am assured after my research that this product will be legal in almost every state.

I personally cannot wait to try out this product with Deer, Turkey, Hogs and Waterfowl.
VA abides by the federal baiting regulations (of course so does everyone else)..... while it does not specifically list artificial type food stuff attractants, I fully suspect that artificial corn would fall under the crop manipulation clause and thereby be under the jurisdiction of the "ten day rule". Salt blocks are the same animal....

I'll have to call the boys and see what they say.... but by and large I suspect that the legality of the practice (esp in VA) would be largely determined by exactly which game warden checked you. A fair number of game wardens (as well as hunters and probably even judges and politicians) do not understand the blind laws we have in place, and the legality of hunting in a certain spot is left largely up to the game warden in charge of the investigation (read: checking you).
Old 04-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

And alas, I did state that I am not much of a waterfowler, but that being said, I know enough to know that when hunting Geese in layout blinds almost 90% of the time you are hunting in a corn field but the corn has been harvested.

Welcome to waterfowling in VA then! Look at the blackcloud review in my field journal... those geese were shot in VA, over a green peanut field.

All my other fall field goose hunting is done either over natural green/fescue fields or soybean fields. There are of course folks hunting over corn, but you have to be careful because the line between "harvested" and "manipulated" is awfully dang skinny.

The beauty of this product is that for $39.95 for a bag of these corn links, they are completely reusable just like your Turkey Decoys and your Goose Decoys. They are completely indestructible and with a good set up they will be just one more tool that you can have in your arsenal.

And for that price.... NO WAY! Heck for the price of three bags of that stuff you can get a guide to take you all expenses paid and all work done!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:14 PM

First of all, let me state that I do not work for Magnum Fields, I work for myself. I am the CEO of HuntingLife.com and I have been writing a blog and doing product reviews for the last two years. I was seeking real honest opinions about what you thought of the product. If you are interested in buying the product by all means go find Magnum Fields and talk with Rick Bolton who has been hunting over this product for 10 years plus.

I will take all of your opinions and write what I choose to write on my website. I will post my review here as well when I complete my story. I have talked to several people who have hunted over this product and done my due diligence on the product and I am quite satisfied that this product is more then legal in most states.

To be honest the product looks pretty cool to me personally and I can see the reason why animals would respond to it and feel comfortable. Animals spend a large portion of their day looking for food and if this looks like food and they come in close then you can easily get an ethical shot.

Either way, I will be hunting over this product on Tuesday or Wednesday and I will be taping the hunt for Youtube so you can all make up your minds yourself. I will include the clip in my review. I am certainly not worried if anyone buys the product, I am pretty sure it will go nationally to many retailers, I am sure there will be demand nationally.

If it works for me, its legal and I see success, I am going to be using it on regular basis. If it does not work for me then I really have not spent that much money to find out. From the videos I have seen provided by Rick Bolton, I am very certain of this product, and this hunting season will prove it to me. First up, Long beards in Maryland and Virginia.

I am always looking for great products and outfitters to review and I always try to be as honest as possible and do my research. I thought putting a post here would elicit some great responses, instead I got few great responses, a ton of doubt and personal attacks. I am going to call five great outfitters in Maryland, Virginia and Canada and elicit responses and quotes from them for my story.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

First of all, let me state that I do not work for Magnum Fields, I work for myself. I am the CEO of HuntingLife.com and I have been writing a blog and doing product reviews for the last two years. I was seeking real honest opinions about what you thought of the product. If you are interested in buying the product by all means go find Magnum Fields and talk with Rick Bolton who has been hunting over this product for 10 years plus.

I will take all of your opinions and write what I choose to write on my website. I will post my review here as well when I complete my story. I have talked to several people who have hunted over this product and done my due diligence on the product and I am quite satisfied that this product is more then legal in most states.

To be honest the product looks pretty cool to me personally and I can see the reason why animals would respond to it and feel comfortable. Animals spend a large portion of their day looking for food and if this looks like food and they come in close then you can easily get an ethical shot.

Either way, I will be hunting over this product on Tuesday or Wednesday and I will be taping the hunt for Youtube so you can all make up your minds yourself. I will include the clip in my review. I am certainly not worried if anyone buys the product, I am pretty sure it will go nationally to many retailers, I am sure there will be demand nationally.

If it works for me, its legal and I see success, I am going to be using it on regular basis. If it does not work for me then I really have not spent that much money to find out. From the videos I have seen provided by Rick Bolton, I am very certain of this product, and this hunting season will prove it to me. First up, Long beards in Maryland and Virginia.

I am always looking for great products and outfitters to review and I always try to be as honest as possible and do my research. I thought putting a post here would elicit some great responses, instead I got few great responses, a ton of doubt and personal attacks. I am going to call five great outfitters in Maryland, Virginia and Canada and elicit responses and quotes from them for my story.

Thanks for the help.
are you using it on turkeys im guessing?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heck, I get real geese in my decoys without some fake corn gimmick. I didn't get pics but at one point this year I had probably close to 100 geese landed in my dekes, for over 15 minutes. Its all about how you setup, calling, and hiding. NOT some fake corn gimmick.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:45 PM

I know you guys think i'm crazy, but just hear me out. When it comes to duck hunting i've tied a couple corn links to some of the necks of the decoys useing fishing line and i leave those corn links floating. Then i also put some weights on other links to make them sink and stay on the floor of the water. I was nervous about trying the fake corn myselfbut those ducks seemed to go right in for it. I even let some land in the rig, and sure enough they tried to dive for it. I thought it was crazy when i first heard of it too, but i tried it and it seemed to work pretty well for me.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:08 PM

I guess if you can't call or set up right and really just don't know a gosh darn thing about goose hunting then you would need something like this.....I hunt in Maryland and have a great farm to goose hunt, I have been checked and I know most Johnny Law here wouldn't let me slide with some fake corn.....The price of getting busted is definetly not worth it, best suggestion LEARN HOW TO BLOW A FREAKING CALL, biggest thing right there
Old 05-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: fsulaxer18

I guess if you can't call or set up right and really just don't know a gosh darn thing about goose hunting then you would need something like this.....I hunt in Maryland and have a great farm to goose hunt, I have been checked and I know most Johnny Law here wouldn't let me slide with some fake corn.....The price of getting busted is definetly not worth it, best suggestion LEARN HOW TO BLOW A FREAKING CALL, biggest thing right there
NOW THAT IS SOME GREAT ADVICE!

Quick Reply: Artificial Corn, Need some Opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.