Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Artificial Corn, Need some Opinions >

Artificial Corn, Need some Opinions

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Artificial Corn, Need some Opinions

Old 09-17-2012, 03:49 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by huntinglife
I am curious to know when you state that it is highly un-ethical why you would feel that way. Most waterfowlers use decoys and calls to attract birds into their spreads, how would using artificial product resembling food be any different? I understand as well every hunter is going to have to make the decision for themselves whether to use any product in the hunting market today. Some hunters love the ROBO-Geese and ROBO-Ducks and others think they should be banned and in some states they are banned.

As far as the product being illegal, I have taken the time to check the regulations. I happen to know that it is being used in several states already with incredible success in places like Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia. By all means every hunter should check the regulations in their state but I am assured after my research that this product will be legal in almost every state.

I personally cannot wait to try out this product with Deer, Turkey, Hogs and Waterfowl.
I live and Goose hunt in Southern Maryland. I am curious to know if you can provide documented facts that this method is actually a legal means in Maryland ? Since you have taken the time to to check the regulations, I'd assume you should know.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Dodgem250
I live and Goose hunt in Southern Maryland. I am curious to know if you can provide documented facts that this method is actually a legal means in Maryland ? Since you have taken the time to to check the regulations, I'd assume you should know.
I think you're 100% right to be asking this.

I can't speak to Maryland, specifically, but I'm wagering that this person did NOT check any state regs at all. The reason I say that is because under Federal law, bait is "salt, grain, or other feed that could lure or attract waterfowl." Since it has to be "feed" per the feds, this stuff is technically legal under federal law.

But that doesn't make it kosher: individual states are permitted by the federal government to be more restrictive regarding enforcement of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (but not less). And I've seen at least a few states where the definition of bait is "feed or other attractant."

If you find the definition of bait in your Maryland regs, it should spell out whether that bait must be a type of actual feed, or simply any feed-like substance (consumable or not) that will bring in ducks.

If it were me, I would contact the warden for the area in which I plan to hunt and ask him or her, personally. That's the best way to cover yourself.

It's a bit irresponsible of the people making this stuff to not point this out or advise purchasers to be sure it's OK to use. But since it's a guide who came up with it, and since his goal is to make money, it is what it is .

Probably not the greatest way for "huntinglife.com" to become known as a reputable/ethical hunting website. Just my opinion.

mac