Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Training Question

Old 01-31-2008, 04:35 PM

Default Training Question

If you guy's have read my earlier post you would know that I'm new to training and running birds dogs. Since there is a slight learning curve to training a bird compared to a coon dog; I have a few questions.

1. Do you think that a bird dog can be ruined by keeping them in the house and making them your best friend. (coon dogs are friends but we never petted them unless we were coon hunting and they treed a coon)

2. Is it ok to train a bird dog to run a specific bird?
I bought some quail training scent in order to get my dog looking for that scent. I putsome out for the first time today, flaged itand let it set for about 2 hrs. I then walked my pup into the wind to see what he would do. At about 15 yards he caught the scent and done a half point (not real commited) I watched him walk into the scent cone a little ways, stopped him, petted him and moved on. I feel that I need another step in this process but I want him to know that were after birds and nothing else. Any ideas would be appreciated. I also have a way to get my hands on live quail but I don't want to get him started too early on them.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Training Question

My opinion, No they cannot be ruined by being in the house. My Lab is both an inside and outside dog, he actually sleeps inside with us, and this was his first year hunting and he did great.

You are using sent so the dog will at least have an assosiation with that sent, but he/she will also hunt other birds. Mine will point rens, Cardinals, chase tweeties. But to answer your question, can the dog be trained to hunt only one type bird? I don't know, Mine had been on quail, Chuckar, Pheasant and waterfowl already. The more experianced folks will have to answer that. maybe ask in the hunting or sporting dog forum.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:53 AM

This same topic was discussed at length earlier this year, and I guess there are as many opinions on this topic as there is bird dogs......IMO it doesn't hurt them one bit. Mine is an inside dog and she hunts just fine.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:05 AM

thanks guy's!
Old 02-08-2008, 02:22 PM
JW
Super Moderator

All mine are isnide dogs.

Spring - go to this website and take a look at a test in your area. Hopefully there is a chapter near you as Chapter functions are there to thelp train you to train your own pointing dog.

using scent will not get you there - real birds will. The chapter people will show you how to go about getting your dog to point, rtv, etc.

go to...... www.navhad.org

or PM with the state you are in and I am sure I can find some contact people for you to call.

JW
Old 02-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Spike

1. No, the best bird dogs usually sleep between you are your lady in bed.

2. The bottled scents are ok, but you'll be better of using a dead bird. It sounds a bit gross, but next time you shoot one don't clean it put it in a plastic bag and throw it right in the freezer. Let it thaw and use that instead. From my experience, most dogs once trained, will hunt fairly sucessfully on a variety of birds. You just need to give them a "hint" before you head out. Give them an old feather stuck in your vest or a bit of that scent and send them on your way.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:30 PM

First of all wether they be an inside or outside dog is solely up to you. Its does not effect the way they hunt. the best and most effective way to train a bird dog is with actual birds, whether they be wild or pen raised. Also once pup goes on point even if he is not commited to the point stop him or caution him with Whoa. You don't want him creeping on birds, if you allow him him to creep he will associate that it is ok for him to creep. And later could cause spoked birds to flush before you get with in range. But once you get him trained you will not need to use a feather or anything for him to scent before you hunt him. Just make sure you run a refresher training session a few weeks before you decide to hunt or before hunting season comes around, just like all dogs a refresher course is never bad, it can only help. And also you want to keep his conditioning good through out the year.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

You are using sent so the dog will at least have an assosiation with that sent, but he/she will also hunt other birds. Mine will point rens, Cardinals, chase tweeties. But to answer your question, can the dog be trained to hunt only one type bird? I don't know, Mine had been on quail, Chuckar, Pheasant and waterfowl already. The more experianced folks will have to answer that. maybe ask in the hunting or sporting dog forum.
I agree. Bottled scent is a good starter, then find roadkill birds or go to someone locally that raises them, buy a couple and (with our labs we have done this) clip the wings and plant them. The problem with "tame" birds is that they don't run that much usually. Nothing can take the place of actual in the field experience. Get the dog out as much as possible, and it will be much better. Didn't notice where you are from, but the best thing that has ever happened to my dog, and several other MN dogs is a couple trips to SD. Maybe nowhere else to get on that many birds every day.

And I would LOVE to see anyones dog who claims that it only hunts one species of bird. Or better yet, I know a couple guys that claim their dog will only run roosters. Won't even sniff at a hen.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:35 AM

Do hens and roosters really even have a different smell?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:36 PM

My pup lives in the house and she does great, only a year old and one season under her belt but the one thing I think house living does, she does not ignore me at all. I have never used a shock collar on her and I can call her back from chasing anything.

Birds is birds, once they know the scent the will point any bird.

just my nickels worth.