Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 beagle training question >

beagle training question

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

beagle training question

Old 11-07-2005, 04:39 PM

Default beagle training question

I just got my first beagle and I'm new to training. Thescenario I'm running in to is I took my beagle out a couple of weeks ago to track a deer my dad shot and he did very well. The only problem I have now is when I take him out small game hunting he gets on the trail of deer all the time. Last time I had him out he chased a big buck right back to me ...and ran the thing about 200 yards away. I thought I was going to lose him.

So my question is...how do I undo what I've done by accidentally training him to track deer. Do I buy a shock collar and shock him if I see him chasing a deer. The only problem with that is if he chases the deer out ahead of me andI dont see it, how doI knowwhether he is running a rabbit or a deer whenhe is barking.

Thanks for any input.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:24 PM

Default RE: beagle training question

try www.lcsupply.com that's Lion Country Supply, it's a hunting dog training supply site. They have a scent collar for $8.95 and Deer Breaking scent is $5.95. The idea is the dog is exposed to the deer scent constantly and either tires of the scent or starts to ignore the smell. My father has always had beagles and has had sucess with this method. I don't know of any other method that works, the deer scent is just too strong and easy to trail. One tip if you loose the dogs lay your shirt (or something with your scent on it) at the place you let them out of the truck. We did this many times and almost always the next morning the dogs would be laying on the shirt when we returned to get them. Be sure to request thier catalog there is a lot of good items for hound care. Good Luck
Old 11-07-2005, 05:31 PM

As far as knowing what he is trailing you won't at first. Rabbits usually run 100 to 200 yard circles depending on how thick the cover is, a Doe will run the same circle except much bigger usually almost out of hearing range before returning. A buck will usually run straight "out of the county" so you have to go after the dogs. Like I said you never know till its too late.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Lion country supply is actually only 25 minutes from my house. I've never stopped there before. I'll check the stuff out next time I drive by.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:27 AM

If you do get a shocker Don't over use it! You could cause more damage if you shock it too much. Make sure that it is on a deer and not a rabbit before you shock.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

If you have other hunters near you, see if you could let your hound run with theirs. My best success with training is to start pups out with seasoned hounds, they tend to catch on very quickly.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:32 PM

Goto american beagler and search for trash breaking. Lots of good info from people that know beagles in and out.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:57 AM

I run my beagles only on deer, I have gotten a couple from people that only run rabbits. they get started on deer and they can't break them so they get rid of them.
once they start runningdeer it a long process to break them off of deer.the shock collor will work , if you know there on deer.one time they are on deer and you shock,then the next time you think there on deer and you shock and they were on rabbit. then they don't know what you want. so you have to be careful.

by blood trail dog died on me a while back, so I am looking for a pup to train.wanta get rid of your, give me a holler.
good luck on breaking it off deer.