HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Training Question
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 04:35 PM
springcaller

Default Training Question

If you guy's have read my earlier post you would know that I'm new to training and running birds dogs. Since there is a slight learning curve to training a bird compared to a coon dog; I have a few questions.

1. Do you think that a bird dog can be ruined by keeping them in the house and making them your best friend. (coon dogs are friends but we never petted them unless we were coon hunting and they treed a coon)

2. Is it ok to train a bird dog to run a specific bird?
I bought some quail training scent in order to get my dog looking for that scent. I putsome out for the first time today, flaged itand let it set for about 2 hrs. I then walked my pup into the wind to see what he would do. At about 15 yards he caught the scent and done a half point (not real commited) I watched him walk into the scent cone a little ways, stopped him, petted him and moved on. I feel that I need another step in this process but I want him to know that were after birds and nothing else. Any ideas would be appreciated. I also have a way to get my hands on live quail but I don't want to get him started too early on them.